AIPS: flagging bad data, calibration, etc

In summary, AIPS is used in radio astronomy to reduce data and remove errors from images caused by atmospheric disturbances. The errors that should be looked for include bad antenna flags, which can be identified by plotting antenna temperature vs time. Other factors that affect sensitivity include temperature and different file names associated with radio images, such as uvfits and imfits. To learn more about these subjects, there are textbooks and websites available, and once image data is obtained, it can be processed in AIPS.
Aziza
i am trying to learn AIPS in preparation to doing research in radio astronomy. I know the basics of radio astronomy and that AIPS is used to reduce data and remove errors from images due to atmospheric disturbances, but I don't really know what kind of errors in the data I should be looking for...like how do I know to flag an antenna as bad? Why do I have to plot antenna temp vs time to see which antenna are bad? Why should phase vs UV distance be a straight line? Why are there so many different file names associated with radio images: uvfits, imfits, etc, what are the differences between them?

Can anyone suggest a good textbook or websites explaining these subjects? Basically my main subject of interest is, once I have some image data (downloaded from nrao archives for example), what should I do with it in AIPS?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Aziza said:
i am trying to learn AIPS in preparation to doing research in radio astronomy. I know the basics of radio astronomy and that AIPS is used to reduce data and remove errors from images due to atmospheric disturbances, but I don't really know what kind of errors in the data I should be looking for...like how do I know to flag an antenna as bad? Why do I have to plot antenna temp vs time to see which antenna are bad?

Temperature affects sensitivity.
The most familiar type of radio telescope is the radio reflector consisting of a parabolic antenna--the so-called dish or filled-aperture telescope--which operates in the same manner as a television-satellite receiving antenna to focus the incoming radiation onto a small antenna referred to as the feed, a term that originated with antennas used for radar transmissions. In a radio telescope the feed is typically a waveguide horn and transfers the incoming signal to the sensitive radio receiver. Cryogenically cooled solid-state amplifiers with very low internal noise are used to obtain the best possible sensitivity.

Aziza said:
Why should phase vs UV distance be a straight line? Why are there so many different file names associated with radio images: uvfits, imfits, etc, what are the differences between them?

Can anyone suggest a good textbook or websites explaining these subjects? Basically my main subject of interest is, once I have some image data (downloaded from nrao archives for example), what should I do with it in AIPS?

http://www-astro.physics.ox.ac.uk/~hrk/AIPS_TUTORIAL/HRK_AIPS_1.html#22.

1. What is AIPS and what is its purpose?

AIPS (Astronomical Image Processing System) is a software package used in the analysis and processing of radio astronomical data. Its purpose is to facilitate the reduction and calibration of raw data collected from radio telescopes, and to produce high-quality images for scientific analysis.

2. How does AIPS flag bad data?

AIPS uses a variety of algorithms and techniques to identify and flag bad data points in the raw data, such as radio frequency interference, instrumental effects, and atmospheric distortions. These flagged data points can then be excluded from the data analysis process to ensure accurate and reliable results.

3. What is the calibration process in AIPS?

The calibration process in AIPS involves using known calibrator sources, such as bright and stable radio sources, to determine the instrumental response of the radio telescope. This allows for the correction of any systematic errors in the data and ensures the accuracy of the resulting images.

4. Can AIPS be used for other types of astronomical data?

While AIPS was originally designed for the processing of radio astronomical data, it can also be used for other types of astronomical data, such as infrared and optical data. However, some modifications and adaptations may be necessary for these different types of data.

5. Is AIPS user-friendly for non-experts?

AIPS can be complex and requires a certain level of familiarity with radio astronomy and data processing. However, there are resources available, such as tutorials and user guides, to help non-experts navigate and use the software effectively. It is recommended to have some knowledge of radio astronomy and data analysis before using AIPS.