Quantum Theory: Minimizing Energy Subject to Normalization Contraint

In summary, the task is to minimize the energy of a given wavefunction in a potential, subject to the normalization constraint, and show that the minimized wavefunction satisfies the energy eigenvalue equation. This can be achieved by using the Euler-Lagrange equations and incorporating a Lagrange multiplier to account for the constraint.
WisheDeom

Homework Statement

In a previous problem, I derived that for a given wavefunction [itex]\Psi (x)[/itex] in a potential, the energy of the state could be calculated as a functional of the wavefunction. I now need to minimize the energy, subject to the usual wavefunction normalization constraint, and show that the minimized wavefunction satisfies the energy eigenvalue equation.

Homework Equations

Energy functional:
[tex]E[\Psi(x)] = \int dx \left(\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \left|\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} (x)\right|^2 + V(x) |\Psi(x)|^2 \right)[/tex]

Normalization constraint:
[tex]\int dx |\Psi(x)|^2 = 1[/tex]

Energy eigenvalue equation:
[tex]\langle x | H | \Psi \rangle = E \langle x | \Psi \rangle[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial x^2}(x) + V(x) \Psi(x) = E \Psi(x)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know to minimize a functional like above I need the Euler-Lagrange equations, but I'm completely stumped as to how to include a functional constraint.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know I need to use a Lagrange multiplier, but I'm not sure how to incorporate it into the Euler-Lagrange equations. Help with this would be greatly appreciated!

What is quantum theory?

Quantum theory is a branch of physics that explains the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

What does "minimizing energy subject to normalization constraint" mean in quantum theory?

This phrase refers to the principle in quantum theory that states that the energy of a system will be at its minimum value when the system is in its most stable, or "normalized" state.

Why is minimizing energy subject to normalization constraint important in quantum theory?

This principle is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level and allows us to make predictions about how they will interact with each other.

How is minimizing energy subject to normalization constraint related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that there is a limit to how precisely we can measure certain properties of a particle, such as its position and momentum. Minimizing energy subject to normalization constraint is related to this principle because it helps us determine the most probable state of a particle, rather than its exact state.

What are some applications of minimizing energy subject to normalization constraint in quantum theory?

This principle has many applications, including in the development of quantum computing, the study of molecular and atomic structures, and the understanding of chemical reactions at a fundamental level.