Mercury Battery Reaction: Determining the Oxidation Half Reaction

In summary, Astronuc is trying to figure out the half cell reaction for a mercury battery, but is having difficulty because he does not understand the concept of what he is representing. He was helped by a tutorial and a link to a more in-depth guide, and is now able to complete his homework.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Howdy. I'm looking at a mercury battery reaction which goes like so:

HgO(l) + Zn(s) --> ZnO(s) + Hg(l)

I need to figure out the oxidation half reaction. What I can tell so far is that Zn is oxidized, since on the reactant side it has a charge of zero, and on the product side, Zn has an individual charge of 2+ in the ZnO compound. It must be losing electrons.

I believe the oxidation half reaction should have Zn on the reactant side and ZnO and some electrons (two?) on the product side, but I can't figure out how to work in the oxygen for the reactant side. Sorry, I'm totally new at this. And I kinda suck at it besides.:redface:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
HgO(l) + Zn(s) --> ZnO(s) + Hg(l)

So one has

Hg2+ + Zn(s) --> Zn2+ + Hg(l)

and the oxygen does not change valence, it is simply transferred form Hg to Zn.

Half cell reactions

Hg2+ + 2 e- --> + Hg

Zn --> Zn2+ + 2 e-

Thanks, Astronuc. So when I write these half reactions, I shouldn't show the oxygen anywhere? I should only show the element that is getting oxidized or reduced? Sorry, I am still struggling with the concept of what I'm trying to represent.

Math Is Hard said:
So when I write these half reactions, I shouldn't show the oxygen anywhere? I should only show the element that is getting oxidized or reduced?
Yeah, that's pretty much what one does. One just writes the oxidation and reduction reactions.
Math Is Hard said:
Sorry, I am still struggling with the concept of what I'm trying to represent.
No problem, it took me awhile to get used to the conventions with respect to cathode/anode reactions.

Here is a nice little tutorial - http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c123/halfcell.html

This might help too.

Spontaneity of REDOX Systems - http://members.aol.com/logan20/elecspon.html

http://www.life.uiuc.edu/crofts/bioph354/redox.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - I really appreciate the help. And the links are great! Hopefully, I'll be able to finish up my homework now.

1. What is a Mercury Battery?

A Mercury battery is a type of battery that uses mercury and zinc as the main components of its chemical reaction to produce electrical energy. It is a small, cylindrical, and button-shaped battery commonly used in small electronic devices such as watches, calculators, and hearing aids.

2. How does a Mercury Battery work?

A Mercury battery works through a chemical reaction between mercury and zinc. The zinc acts as the anode and the mercury acts as the cathode. When the battery is connected to an electrical circuit, the zinc anode is oxidized, releasing electrons. These electrons flow through the circuit, powering the device, and then return to the cathode where they combine with the mercury to form mercuric oxide.

3. What are the advantages of using a Mercury Battery?

One of the main advantages of using a Mercury battery is its long shelf life. It has a low self-discharge rate, which means it can retain its charge for a long period of time even when not in use. It also has a high energy density, meaning it can store a significant amount of energy in a small space. Lastly, Mercury batteries are relatively inexpensive and readily available.

4. Are there any risks associated with Mercury Batteries?

Yes, there are risks associated with Mercury batteries. Mercury is a toxic substance and can be harmful to humans and the environment if not disposed of properly. In addition, if a Mercury battery is damaged or broken, it can release mercury vapors which can be dangerous when inhaled. Therefore, it is important to handle and dispose of Mercury batteries carefully and according to proper guidelines.

5. Can Mercury Batteries be recycled?

Yes, Mercury batteries can be recycled. However, due to the toxic nature of mercury, it is important to recycle them through specialized recycling facilities that can handle and dispose of the mercury safely. Some countries have banned the use of Mercury batteries due to their potential environmental impact and have implemented recycling programs to properly dispose of them. It is important to check with local authorities on proper disposal methods for Mercury batteries.