A Point Of Clarification With Acid/Base Ks

• Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationships between the different forms of acid/base equilibriums, including the ionization constant of water (KW) and the ionization constants for acids (Ka) and bases (Kb). The concept of pKW and its relation to pH and pOH is also mentioned. The conversation also delves into the definitions and mathematical relationships of pKa and pKb, and how they can be used to compare acid/base strength. The topic of temperature's effect on pKw is brought up, along with the use of pKbs in calculating pH.
Lancelot59
Ok, so I understand the relationships between the basic forms of acid/base equilbriums:

KW=(Ka)(Kb)

Kw being the ionization constant of water, with Ka,and Kb being the ionization constants for acids and bases respectively.

Then there's pKW = pH + pOH

However I get confused when I get to pKa and pKb. I can't really wrap my head around what exactly these mean. It's a similar story with pH and pOH. All I know is that they're a numeric measure of acidity or basic properties, and their mathematic definition as the negative log of the concentration of hydronium/hydroxide respectively.

How do pKa and pKb relate back to everything else? Also could I get a better definition of pH/pOH, or is my definition good enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those pX numbers are just what you have read that they are. pX is "negative of the logarithm of the X..." That's it! pH = -LOG[X], usually as base 10.

... one more thing. The "X" does not NEED to be CONCENTRATION, as you have plainly found.
pKa = -LOG(Ka)

Last edited:
Well that's just a simple definition. I'm looking at how exactly pKa and pKb relate to everything else mathematically in the scheme of things.

Hi,
pA + pB =14. You can calculate the pH and the change of the pH during different stages of protolyses (?) with the help of the pA and say how a salt reacts with water. I hope I chosed the right vocabulary.

Last edited:
Firelion said:
I hope I chosed the right vocabulary.
Kind of...

Lancelot59 said:
Well that's just a simple definition. I'm looking at how exactly pKa and pKb relate to everything else mathematically in the scheme of things.

Sorry, but it sounds like "Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything". And the answer is 42.

pKa and pKb are just ways of stating dissociation constant - they can be easily used to compare acid/base strength.

--

Thanks for the correction. I´m trying to get used to use English in everday life, so I will make errors , but I´m willing to learn ;)

Learning is fun!

@Borek: Ok, So the only thing I need to know is how to play around with them...well that's simple enough.

So pKa + Pkb = pKw?

Lancelot59 said:
Learning is fun!

@Borek: Ok, So the only thing I need to know is how to play around with them...well that's simple enough.

So pKa + Pkb = pKw?

Yes, and that is why we use these not-so-silly "p" values. We have simple positive numbers making comparisons and some calculations easily performed.

Awesome. I have another question.

I was reading through my textbook today, and it said that pKw is always equal to 14. Wouldn't it change with temperature? Or does it stay the same because temperature doesn't affect the auto-ionization of water?

:confused: Does anybody actually use pKbs?

Usual route for calculation of pH of acetate (or more generally salts of weak acids) goes through pKb -> pOH -> pH.

--
methods

Last edited:
So that means that pKb = pOH? That's only at equivalance?

Last edited:

Related to A Point Of Clarification With Acid/Base Ks

1. What is the purpose of calculating acid/base Ks?

The purpose of calculating acid/base Ks is to determine the strength of an acid or base in a solution. It is a measure of the extent to which an acid or base dissociates in water, and can help predict the pH of a solution.

2. How is acid/base Ks calculated?

Acid/base Ks is calculated by taking the concentration of the products of the acid/base dissociation reaction and dividing it by the concentration of the reactants. This value is then raised to the power of the number of moles of each product and reactant in the balanced chemical equation.

3. What factors can affect the value of acid/base Ks?

The value of acid/base Ks can be affected by temperature, ionic strength, and the presence of other substances in the solution. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium of the acid/base reaction, resulting in a different Ks value.

4. How is acid/base Ks used in everyday life?

Acid/base Ks is used in many industries, such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and water treatment. It is also important in understanding the acidity or basicity of common household products, such as cleaning solutions and personal care products.

5. What is the relationship between acid/base Ks and pH?

Acid/base Ks and pH are inversely related. As the Ks value increases, the pH decreases, indicating a stronger acid. Similarly, as the Ks value decreases, the pH increases, indicating a weaker acid. This relationship is described by the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.