Moles of a conjugate base in a buffer solution

In summary, the student attempted to find the concentration of the acid to create a buffer with the desired pH, but was not sure how to proceed due to the lack of a volume in the problem.
alr1014

Homework Statement

You need to produce a buffer solution that has a pH of 5.70. You already have a solution that contains 0.0200 moles of acetic acid. Using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation calculate the moles of sodium acetate needed to create a buffer with the desired pH? The Ka of acetic acid is 1.8 × 10^-5.

Homework Equations

pKa = -log (Ka)
pH= pKa + log (base / acid)

The Attempt at a Solution

pKa= -log (1.8 × 10^-5) = 4.74
5.70 = 4.74 + log (base/acid)
Unfortunately, I have been staring at this problem for about an hour and am unsure how to find the concentration of the acid to discover the consent ration of the base. I am not sure how to proceed since the problem does not give a volume to find the molarity.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: you don't need the acid concentration.

[tex]C_A = \frac {n_A} {V}[/tex]
[tex]C_B = \frac {n_B} {V}[/tex]

[tex]\frac {C_A}{C_B} = ...[/tex]

I appreciate your responce, any responce really. Although, your equation set seems to need a volume as well, and the problem I am to work out does not include one. That is a big area I am being messed up. As well as the problem states to use that particular equation to find the moles of base needed.

alr1014 said:
Although, your equation set seems to need a volume as well

Plug concentrations into ratio and see what happens. V/V = ?

Borek said:
Hint: you don't need the acid concentration.

[tex]C_A = \frac {n_A} {V}[/tex]
[tex]C_B = \frac {n_B} {V}[/tex]

[tex]\frac {C_A}{C_B} = ...[/tex]
Since the problem called for using the henderson-hasselbalch equation, and that entails using the concentration of the acid, I used the volume used in the lab for the titration (25 mL). Not sure if that is right... but I got an answer. I will check with a few of my class mates before lab in the morning. Thank you for your help.

You don't need any specific volume.

V/V = 1 - volume cancels out. Ratio of concentrations (if these are concentrations in the same solution) is identical to the ratio of numbers of moles.

Likes alr1014
Borek said:
You don't any specific volume.

V/V = 1 - volume cancels out. Ratio of concentrations (if these are concentrations in the same solution) is identical to the ratio of numbers of moles.
That very simple answer was probably the best answer you could have given me! Tha k you so very much for having the patience for dealing with slightly dense people like me!

alr1014 said:
That very simple answer was probably the best answer you could have given me!

I hoped you will see it by yourself. You will learn much more when you put an effort and find such things by yourself, than when they are presented on a silver plate.

What are moles of a conjugate base in a buffer solution?

Moles of a conjugate base in a buffer solution refer to the amount of the base component in a buffer solution that is capable of reacting with added acid to maintain a relatively constant pH.

How are moles of a conjugate base calculated in a buffer solution?

Moles of a conjugate base can be calculated by using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which takes into account the pKa of the weak acid and the concentrations of the acid and its conjugate base in the buffer solution.

Why are moles of a conjugate base important in a buffer solution?

Moles of a conjugate base are important in a buffer solution because they determine the buffering capacity of the solution, which is its ability to resist changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added.

What happens to moles of a conjugate base when acid is added to a buffer solution?

When acid is added to a buffer solution, some of the conjugate base will react with the added acid to form the weak acid component of the buffer. This reduces the number of moles of the conjugate base in the solution.

How do moles of a conjugate base affect the pH of a buffer solution?

Moles of a conjugate base have a direct impact on the pH of a buffer solution. A higher concentration of conjugate base will result in a higher pH, while a lower concentration will result in a lower pH. This is because the conjugate base helps to neutralize any added acid, keeping the pH relatively constant.