Partioning natural numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of ways a natural number can be written as a sum of whole numbers, with two different conditions - distinct numbers and non-distinct numbers. The notations \Gamma(M,N) and \Pi(M,N) are introduced as the number of ways to partition M into N whole numbers under these conditions. This problem has similarities to quantum statistics and Ramanujan's partition problem. An example is given for the number 5, with the possibility of considering different permutations.
quantumfireball
In How many ways can one write a natural number M as a sum of N whole numbers?
Consider the two conditions;
1)the numbers appearing in the sum are distinct.
2)the numbers appearing in the sum are not necessary distinct.

eg1:eight can be written as a sum of 6 whole numbers as shown below
8=8+0+0+0+0+0
8=1+1+1+1+4+0
etc..(subject to condition 2)

eg2:8 can be written as a sum of 4 whole numbers as shown below

8=0+1+3+4
etc..(subject to condition 1)

Let me make the following notations

[tex]\Gamma[/tex](M,N) as the no of ways to partition M into N whole numbers subject to condition 1)
[tex]\Pi[/tex](M,N) as the no of ways to partition M into N whole numbers subject to condition 2)

this is no homework problem i formulated this on my own.

Physics news on Phys.org
if you read carefully you will find a striking resemblance of the number theoretical problem and quantum statistics,wherin [tex]\Pi[/tex](M,N) gives the number of microstates asscociated with N harmonic oscillators having total energy MhV.
i read something similar in Zweibachs string theory.

Last edited:
this is related to the ramanujan's partition problem, if I'm not mistaken

how many partitions has the number 5? (or, in how many you can displace 5 rocks)

1+1+1+1+1
2+1+1+1
2+2+1
3+1+1
3+2
4+1

I don't know if you are considering 5+0+0+0+0 and 0+5+0+0+0 two different partitions, for instance... if not the formula already exists, is yes you have to add the number of permutations

1. What is partitioning natural numbers?

Partitioning natural numbers is the process of dividing a given set of natural numbers into smaller sets or partitions, in such a way that each partition contains unique numbers and the sum of numbers in each partition equals the original number.

2. How is partitioning natural numbers useful?

Partitioning natural numbers is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as number theory, combinatorics, and algebra. It helps in understanding the properties and relationships between numbers, and is often used in problem-solving and proof techniques.

3. What are some common methods for partitioning natural numbers?

There are several methods for partitioning natural numbers, including the use of multiplication, addition, and exponents. Other methods include using prime numbers, Fibonacci numbers, and geometric shapes.

4. What are some real-life applications of partitioning natural numbers?

Partitioning natural numbers has various real-life applications, such as in number systems, coding theory, and cryptography. It is also used in computer algorithms for data organization and optimization problems.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when partitioning natural numbers?

Yes, there are some limitations and restrictions when partitioning natural numbers. For example, the number being partitioned must be a positive integer, and the partitions must be non-empty and distinct. Additionally, there may be limitations on the size or range of numbers that can be used in the partition.