How far can a 1300nm wave travel in 100ns?

• Thread starter Evil Bunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation discusses the distance traveled by a 1300 nanometer wave in 100 nanoseconds. It is mentioned that the speed of light depends on the refractive index of the medium it is traveling through. The refractive index is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in vacuum to its speed in the medium. With a refractive index of 1.44, the speed of light in the medium is .6944 times the speed of light in vacuum. It is also mentioned that the wavelength may not be necessary to know since the velocity and time are already known.
Evil Bunny
How far will a 1300 nanometer wave travel in 100 nanoseconds?

I know its simple but I can't remember how to do it...

Physics news on Phys.org
It all depends on how fast this wave is going. Since you're considering an atomic scale wave, I'm guessing you're asking about light? How fast does light travel?

Yeah its a laser... 1.44 refraction index

Okay you need to give the full description of the problem first, we can't guess at what the situation is.

Ok sorry. Is that enough information?

what is "refraction index" :-s?

Are you saying that you are talking about light traveling for 100 nanoseconds in a medium with refractive index of "1.44"? The refractive index, of some medium through which light can travel, is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in vacuum to its speed in the medium. Here, you are saying that
[tex]\frac{c}{v}= 1.44[/tex]
so that
[tex]v= \frac{c}{1.44}= .6944 c[/tex]

If this is so,are the problem necessary to know wavelength? because we knowed v=c/1.44

So I guess wavelength is irrelevant? We know velocity and time, so I guess the wavelength never mattered in the first place...

1. What is the definition of distance a wave travels?

The distance a wave travels is the total length it covers from its starting point to its endpoint. It is typically measured in meters (m) or kilometers (km).

2. How is the distance a wave travels related to its wavelength?

The distance a wave travels is directly proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the wavelength increases, the distance the wave travels also increases.

3. Can a wave travel an infinite distance?

No, a wave cannot travel an infinite distance. As it travels, it will eventually lose energy and dissipate, reaching a point where it is no longer detectable.

4. Is the distance a wave travels affected by the medium it travels through?

Yes, the distance a wave travels can be affected by the medium it travels through. For example, waves travel faster in denser mediums, such as water, compared to less dense mediums, such as air.

5. How does the distance a wave travels affect its speed?

The distance a wave travels does not affect its speed. The speed of a wave is determined by the properties of the medium it travels through and is independent of the distance it travels.