Quantum mechanics for big things?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of quantum mechanics to different sizes of objects. While some argue that quantum effects can be observed in larger objects, it is difficult to maintain coherence and observe these effects on a macroscopic scale. The behavior of liquid helium and the concept of superfluidity are also mentioned as examples of quantum phenomena. However, there may be some contradiction in the explanation of superfluidity and the observation of wavefunctions in experiments.
AdrianHudson
From my understanding QM deals with small things in the universe I use the term "small" loosely when I refer to small I'm talking about sub atomic particles. Anyways back on to the question here it goes.

Why can't QM be applied to bigger objects? I know that we have General relativity for planetary masses and galaxies to describe their behavior. Could the two be interchangeable, say we could use general relativity for things that are small and QM for stuff that is big?

Physics news on Phys.org
AdrianHudson said:
From my understanding QM deals with small things in the universe I use the term "small" loosely when I refer to small I'm talking about sub atomic particles. Anyways back on to the question here it goes.

Why can't QM be applied to bigger objects? I know that we have General relativity for planetary masses and galaxies to describe their behavior. Could the two be interchangeable, say we could use general relativity for things that are small and QM for stuff that is big?
QM applies to all objects. It is just that, beyond a certain size, the effects tend to be so small that they are not noticeable. But there are observable effects in "big" objects, such as big molecules. Also, you can't explain things like neutron stars without QM.

Size isn't a factor here. We have seen large molecules, the size of fullerines, and a large conglomerate of particles made up of up to 10^11 electrons exhibiting quantum effects. It will get larger.

The issue here is the ability to maintain coherence so that these quantum effects can be clearly evident on our scale. Maintaining coherence gets progressively more difficult with size and with time! So it just isn't size here. I may be able to get something the size of an elephant be in a coherent state, but it is of no use and not easy to observe if it does that only in the first 10^-15 second before environmental decoherence sets in.

Zz.

Quantum mechanics was initially invented to describe black-body radiation curves, a macroscopic phenomenon.

There's a wiki article for this, try searching.

One thing I find especially interesting are quantum vortices. When we make swirls in a superfluid, the vortices don't act randomly, but in arrange in cool geometrical shapes. I also like how the wavefunctions (probability density) smoothly become particle/mass density.

This convinces me that quantum phenomena may have some more familiar macroscopic interpretations. If we try to split the Schrodinger's cat's wavefunction, then we don't neccessarily get a zombie cat (half-dead, half-living). Instead it might be: very cold cat, or a cat rotating over its axis, or a cat a sound wave travels through or something else.

haael said:
If we try to split the Schrodinger's cat's wavefunction, then we don't neccessarily get a zombie cat (half-dead, half-living). Instead it might be: very cold cat, or a cat rotating over its axis, or a cat a sound wave travels through or something else.
This is non-sensical.

180,000 gallons of liquid helium shows quantum effects. Big enough?

ZapperZ said:
The issue here is the ability to maintain coherence so that these quantum effects can be clearly evident on our scale. Maintaining coherence gets progressively more difficult with size and with time! So it just isn't size here. I may be able to get something the size of an elephant be in a coherent state, but it is of no use and not easy to observe if it does that only in the first 10^-15 second before environmental decoherence sets in.

Exactly.

Getting macro sized objects to display quantum effects aren't easy - but its not impossible. And when you do some very strange things emerge:
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2010/mar/18/quantum-effect-spotted-in-a-visible-object

Thanks
Bill

Vanadium 50 said:
180,000 gallons of liquid helium shows quantum effects. Big enough?
What is the quantum mechanical explanation for the liquid helium behavior and why would that be a qm effect?

Maui said:
What is the quantum mechanical explanation for the liquid helium behavior and why would that be a qm effect?

Maybe you can start with Wikipedia: Superfluid helium-4.

DrClaude said:
Maybe you can start with Wikipedia: Superfluid helium-4.

There seems to be a contradiction. It could be me(wouldn't be the 1st time anyway) or it could be that there are wrong claims in papers and textbooks on quantum theory(or possibly with the qm explanation on superfluidity which according to what I've read is still an ongoing process).

One of the 1st things one learns from high-quality books is that a wavefunction can never be observed, even in principle. And it seems that most quantum mechanical explanations on superfluidity center around the idea that at temperatures close to absolute zero, the internal random motion of atoms stops and they start behaving as a giant wavefunction, which in turn is routinely directly observed in experiments since the 1930's and filmed in videos.

Maui said:
There seems to be a contradiction.
What is the contradiction?

Maui said:
(or possibly with the qm explanation on superfluidity which according to what I've read is still an ongoing process)
There are always details to clear out, but nobody doubts that superfluidity is a QM effect. Landau won the Nobel prize way back in 1962 in part for that.

Maui said:
One of the 1st things one learns from high-quality books
What kind of books are you talking about? Popular science, textbooks, or monographies?

Maui said:
is that a wavefunction can never be observed, even in principle.
Not everyone agrees with that statement: Direct measurement of the quantum wavefunction

Maui said:
And it seems that most quantum mechanical explanations on superfluidity center around the idea that at temperatures close to absolute zero, the internal random motion of atoms stops and they start behaving as a giant wavefunction, which in turn is routinely directly observed in experiments since the 1930's and filmed in videos.
Are you saying you have a problem with that statement?

DrClaude said:
What is the contradiction?
That it is possible to directly observe a wavefunction. This should be news to a lot of folks here.

Are you saying you have a problem with that statement?
Yes, I do. It invalidates all interpretations that posit that the wavefunction is only a mathematical tool and that includes the standard interpretation found in textbooks.

Maui said:

Maui said:
That it is possible to directly observe a wavefunction. This should be news to a lot of folks here.

Putting aside the question of whether you can observe a wave function, my problem with your initial statement is that the explanation for superfluidity is quantum mechanical. And when you see superfluid helium flow, you are seeing a QM effect even if you are not observing a wave function.

It still doesn't feel right that you can have a very large body that displays directly observable quantum behavior in daylight, in front of cameras... Even one photon was supposedly sufficient to trigger massive decoherence in less than a thousand of a second and a rapid return to classical behavior.

Last edited:
The wavefunction itself cannot be measured. It is a complex function and the magnitude of that complex fuction can be measure. may be that's the source of confusion? The problem of many introductory texts is that they violate the principle that statements should be made as simple as possible but not simpler.

dauto said:
The wavefunction itself cannot be measured. It is a complex function and the magnitude of that complex fuction can be measure. may be that's the source of confusion? The problem of many introductory texts is that they violate the principle that statements should be made as simple as possible but not simpler.
No, every measurement on the wavefunction forces the quantum state to become one of the eigenstates of the operator corresponding to the measured observable.

What is not clear is why a large body would display quantum behavior in broad daylight in front of recording equipment without observable decoherence setting in with a rapid return to classicality(see post 17) - esp. since the fluid is in contact with macroscopic objects like the fluid container?

My primitive explanation is that(perhaps contrary to commonly adopted phrasing) liquid helium is a new entirely classical behavior due to quantum effects, but not a quantum behavior in and of itself. It's still confusing as all macroscopic behavior should be due to quantum effects.

Last edited:
Maui said:

The behavior of liquid helium is complex and difficult to explain all its features even with QM.

But some features are easy to see. For example that it flows without friction is a consequence of the fact its in its lowest energy state - if it had friction it would loose energy which is not possible. You can do an internet search for explanations of other weird aspects - but they are all based on QM.

Of course that's a superficial explanation - the correct one is much more difficult and deeper eg
http://cds.cern.ch/record/808382/files/p363.pdf
'Putting it in another way, we can say that the destruction of superflow would require a transition that takes a macroscopic number of atoms from one state to another simultaneously, and such a process has very low probability.'

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
dauto said:
The wavefunction itself cannot be measured.

Come again. A wavefuction is simply the expansion of a state, |u>, in eigenfunctions of position ie a representation in a certain basis of the state. An observable exists that will give 1 if its in that state 0 otherwise (ie |u><u|). So in principle you can 'measure' a wavefunction - although in practice it may not be possible - and of course you need to be able to perform the experiment many times to ensure you always get a 1.

Thanks
Bill

Talking about superfluids, it is worth to mention behavior of macroscopic fluxons/Abrikosov vortices in superconductors, which can be observed under microscope (they are kind of similar to Couder's walking droplets), like interference ( http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v71/i14/p2311_1 ) or tunneling ( http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v425/n6954/full/nature01826.html ).

About measurement of wavefunction, measuring single state destroys it ... however if we can repeat this state many times, we can measure for example the amplitude of wavefunction - e.g. here is measured density of electrons for s and p orbitals of carbon atom: http://blogs.nature.com/news/2009/09/electron_clouds_seeing_is_beli.html
orbitals.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
jarekd said:
About measurement of wavefunction, measuring single state destroys it ...

Not so sure about that. If it's in the state you are measuring, the state doesn't change. But you would need to do it many times to be sure it always gives the same state after measurement ie you would do an experiment that gives a 1 if its in that state. But you must do it many many times to ensure it always gives 1.

Thanks
Bill

Single measurement gives us only single observable (eigenstate of the Hamiltonian) with some probability distribution - we need many measurements to estimate this density distribution.
However, measurement does not necessarily have to destroy the state as I have written - there are also more subtle "weak measurements", which allow for example to measure average paths of photons interfering in double-slit experiment: http://materias.df.uba.ar/labo5Aa2012c2/files/2012/10/Weak-measurement.pdf

AdrianHudson said:

if you ask for quantum superposition/interference on macroscopic object

Macroscopic Quantum Coherence & Macrorealism experiments
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=452912

actual experimental limit
around 430 atoms.

http://www.univie.ac.at/qfp/publications3/pdffiles/ncomms1263.pdf

audioloop said:
actual experimental limit
around 430 atoms.
Fluxons/Abrikosov vortices are a few orders of magnitude larger and they have observed quantum interference for them 20 years ago: http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v71/i14/p2311_1

jarekd said:
Fluxons/Abrikosov vortices are a few orders of magnitude larger and they have observed quantum interference for them 20 years ago: http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v71/i14/p2311_1

your opinion, because this is the consensus in the physics comunnity.

Maui said:
What is not clear is why a large body would display quantum behavior in broad daylight in front of recording equipment without observable decoherence setting in with a rapid return to classicality
Decoherence happens in a certain basis. It doesn't restrict the populations of these basis states. In particular, there's no problem with all particles occupying the same state.

These populations are given by the statistics. There are many examples of quantum effects for macroscopic systems which are due to quantum statistics: lasers, semiconductors, neutron stars, superconductivity, superfluidity, etc. Even the volume of ordinary bulk matter could be dubbed a quantum effect.

audioloop said:
your opinion, because this is the consensus in the physics comunnity
Not only mine, also for example of reviewers from Phys. Rev. Let. as the abstract is "We have observed quantum interference of vortices in a Josephson-junction array. When vortices cross the array along a doubly connected path, the resultant resistance oscillates periodically with an induced charge enclosed by the path. This phenomenon is a manifestation of the Aharonov-Casher effect. The period of oscillation corresponds to the single electron charge due to tunneling of quasiparticles."

I think your problem is the question of what is the de Broglie's clock - for fluxons this conjugated internal periodic dynamics has a bit different nature than for electrons or photons ... but in the http://www.univie.ac.at/qfp/publications3/pdffiles/ncomms1263.pdf, in abstract they write that de Broglie's wavelength here is lambda=h/mv~1pm, while later they have oscillations with wavelengths of hundreds of nanometers - I doubt it is the same de Broglie's clock as for photons or electrons - it is rather of some effective vibrations of the whole molecule.

And if we allow for any, also effective de Brogle's clock, not only we can classify fluxons for quantum interference, but also macroscopic Couder's walking droplets in double-slit experiment: http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v97/i15/e154101

Can we go even larger? Maybe celestial bodies? :) They usually have internal periodic process: rotation, what can work as de Broglie's clock ... but for interference we need also a medium carrying waves from this periodic process, such that these waves could later affect behavior of the object which created them - maybe interference of some pulsar, using gravity waves and ... a few million years :)

However, maybe we could look for a more serious "quantum-like" properties on statistical level as there is some resemblance with Bohr's atomic model. If we would average millions of years of relative position of e.g. a planet, there are plenty of looking randomly disturbances from perfect trajectory - like caused by gravity of other planets. So to predict such time average, we should use some thermodynamical model, like taking Boltzmann distribution among all paths it could travel through - exactly like in euclidean path integral formulation of quantum mechanics, it should lead to quantum statistics of this averaged positions - discussion: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=710790

audioloop said:
correlation is not entanglement.

I don't quite understand how this statement has anything to do with the diamonds entangled.

Maui said:
liquid helium is a new entirely classical behavior due to quantum effects

Those words make no sense in that order. Behavior cannot be entirely classical if due to quantum effects. It's like talking about the corners of a circle.

The biggest quantum effect that I recall occurs at event horizons, for example, the event horizon of a black hole.
Viewed from the outside, an object falling into a black hole will never quite make it to the event horizon. Instead, an extreme case of time dilation will be observed. So if a watch crosses the horizon at noon, we will see the watch approach noon but never reach it.

Here's where QM takes over. Under these conditions, Heisenberg Uncertainty takes over. When we can see the watch so precisely in time, it is not possible for us to know as much about its location. As a result, the watch will blur into a holographic pattern that will soon cover the entire surface of the black hole.

You can also create an event horizon by maintaining a constant acceleration. From your non-inertial reference frame, an event horizon will follow behind you with this same QM holographic affect. That QM effect will separate you from approximately half the universe.