Concerning "Multiple Dimensions of Time"

In summary, there is no consensus on what "multiple time dimensions" means in physics, as time is typically seen as a one-dimensional concept that is measured by clocks. However, from a mathematical perspective, it is possible to consider a universe with two or more time-like dimensions, but this would present many challenges. Twistor theory is an example of a theory that uses a manifold with two time-like dimensions, but it does not necessarily claim that there are actually multiple time dimensions.
FysixFox
Gold Member
I've seen a lot of the popular theories regarding how many dimensions there are, and it seems that they all have numerous spatial dimensions and one dimension of time. However, I haven't really found out much about why there is only ever a single dimension of time in any given theory. While I know that there is no consensus on what "multiple time dimensions" even means, I'm starting to get curious about what two or more time dimensions could possibly mean for physics as a whole. Are there any resources or papers I can read that might enlighten me on the different ways the extra time dimensions have been applied, and what changes/implications occur when they're applied?

Physics news on Phys.org
We can look at this from a physical point of view or a mathematical point of view. From a physical point of view, this question doesn't seem to make much sense. Time is what is ticked off by clocks. How can this possible be more than 1 dimensional?

From a mathematical point of view, a time-like dimension is one which carries an opposite sign in the metric to the spatial dimensions. In a mathematical point of view, then, a universe with 2 or more time-like dimensions would be one which is described by a metric of the form diag(-1,-1,...1,1,..) in an orthonormal basis. This would make the manifold non-Lorentzian in nature, which might provide many physical problems for us.

However, in fact, this idea is not completely unheard of. Twistor theory, for example, uses a manifold with signature (2,2), or in our language, the metric has the form diag(-1,-1,1,1) in an orthonormal basis. But as far as I know, twistor theory does not try to say that there are 2 time dimensions, only that mapping objects from our normal 3+1 spacetime to a 2+2 manifold might yield meaningful physical results.

I am not very familiar with twistor theory, so I can't comment much on it. But here's a wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twistor_theory

What are multiple dimensions of time?

Multiple dimensions of time refer to the concept that time may exist in more than one dimension, similar to how space exists in three dimensions.

How many dimensions of time are there?

This is a topic of debate and there is no definitive answer. Some theories suggest there could be up to 11 dimensions of time, while others propose an infinite number of dimensions.

How do multiple dimensions of time affect the universe?

The existence of multiple dimensions of time could have profound implications for our understanding of the universe. It could potentially help explain phenomena like dark matter and dark energy, and provide a better understanding of the nature of time itself.

Can we experience multiple dimensions of time?

This is also a topic of debate. Some theories suggest that we may already be experiencing multiple dimensions of time, but are not aware of it. Others propose that it may be possible to consciously experience multiple dimensions of time through meditation or altered states of consciousness.

What research is being done on multiple dimensions of time?

Scientists are actively researching and exploring the possibility of multiple dimensions of time through various fields, such as quantum mechanics, string theory, and cosmology. However, it is still a relatively new and complex concept that requires further investigation and experimentation.