Critical field/temperature plots for HTSCs

• Thread starter Zymandia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plots
In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for plots of optimally doped cuprates, particularly in the <40K region, but is having trouble finding them through Google search and is unable to access academic papers. They mention seeing a distinct kink in the curve in the 10-15K region for a cuprate sample and are hoping to find accurate measurements of Bc against Tc for samples with Tc > 100K. They also mention seeing three diagrams for different cuprates with this feature at < 20K, but are unable to locate them again. They are asking for any links to these plots.
Zymandia
Hi Guys,
A while back I saw a plot of Bc against Tc for a cuprate sample. There seemed to be a distinct kink in the curve in the 10-15K region.
I'd like to see a few plots of optimally doped (or there abouts) cuprates particularly the <40K region. My inept Google searching only gets me the cuprate phase-diagram of SC by doping :(
Not being an academic, I can't always open papers I'm pointed at.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how many optimally doped cuprates have a Tc less than 40K.

None I hope! I'm looking for accurate measured Bc against Tc for samples of Tc > 100K.
I saw a set of 3 diagrams for 3 different cuprates and each had this feature at < 20K, but I haven't been able to find them again and I can't afford to buy papers with likely abstracts/titles.
Any links gratefully appreciated.

1. What is a critical field/temperature plot for HTSCs?

A critical field/temperature plot for HTSCs (high-temperature superconductors) is a graphical representation of the critical temperature and critical magnetic field of a superconductor. It shows the relationship between the two parameters and helps determine the maximum temperature and magnetic field at which a superconducting material can exhibit zero resistance.

2. How is a critical field/temperature plot measured?

A critical field/temperature plot is typically measured by subjecting the superconducting material to increasing magnetic fields while keeping the temperature constant, and then measuring the resulting critical current (the maximum current that can be passed without resistance). The critical temperature is then determined by repeating the process at different temperatures.

3. What factors affect the shape of a critical field/temperature plot?

The shape of a critical field/temperature plot can be influenced by various factors, such as the type of superconductor, its composition, and the presence of impurities or defects. Additionally, the strength and direction of the applied magnetic field, as well as the measurement technique used, can also affect the shape of the plot.

4. What is the significance of a critical field/temperature plot in superconductivity research?

The critical field/temperature plot is essential in the study and development of superconducting materials. It provides valuable information about the maximum operating conditions of a superconductor and helps identify the factors that may limit its performance. The plot also aids in the selection and optimization of materials for specific applications.

5. How do critical field/temperature plots differ between conventional and high-temperature superconductors?

Conventional superconductors, such as niobium, have relatively low critical temperatures (below 30 K) and can only operate at low magnetic fields. In contrast, high-temperature superconductors, such as cuprates, have much higher critical temperatures (up to 140 K) and can operate at significantly higher magnetic fields. Therefore, the critical field/temperature plots for these two types of superconductors differ in terms of their shape and the maximum values of critical temperature and magnetic field.