Differential equation: y'-y=(1/2)x-1

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving a difficult equation, with one person using the basic linear form and integrating factor method. They also mention the use of the function e^x and the possibility of having multiple solutions if an initial condition is not specified. Eventually, the person is able to solve the equation and provides the solution of y=(-1/2)x+(1/2).
false_alarm
I know this looks really easy, but trying to solve this is amazingly difficult. I couldn't do it, i kept getting wrong answers. Any body got any idea how to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
false_alarm said:
I know this looks really easy, but trying to solve this is amazingly difficult. I couldn't do it, i kept getting wrong answers. Any body got any idea how to solve this?

When methods have you leart because there is more then one way to solve the above equation.

I just used the basic linear form, got an integrating factor, and then just took the antiderivative of what was left

false_alarm said:
I just used the basic linear form, got an integrating factor, and then just took the antiderivative of what was left

If no one else helps you out I'll try to solve it with that method tomorrow. First though you have to show me the steps you tried.

y'-y=(1/2)x-1
(1/2)x-1=g(x)
y'-y=g(x)...linear form
d(x)y'-s(x)y=(d(x)y)'...product rule
only works if d(x)'=s(x)
the only function that is its own integral, that i could think of, is e[tex]^{x}[/tex]
but since the y is negative, it would have to be e[tex]^{-x}[/tex]

so then u could say,

e[tex]^{-x}[/tex]y'-e[tex]^{-x}[/tex]y=e[tex]^{-x}[/tex]g(x)

(e[tex]^{-x}[/tex]y)'=e[tex]^{-x}[/tex]g(x)...use the product rule
e[tex]^{-x}[/tex]y=antiderivative(e[tex]^{-x}[/tex]g(x))...took antiderivative
y=antiderivative(e[tex]^{-x}[/tex]((1/2)x-1))/e[tex]^{-x}[/tex]...divide both sides by e[tex]^{-x}[/tex]

I think I am screwing up in the simplifying part. But, the integration becomes tricky

Hey I just figured it out. The first time i did it i made a really small error in the beginning that made it unsolvable. Thanks anyways. In case your wondering though,

y=(-1/2)x+(1/2)

You know that the solution isn't unique, right? You can add e^x times any constant to your answer and still have a valid solution.

Yeah, the solution will only be unique if you specify an initial condition such as y(0). Otherwise your integrating factor method should still leave you with a term Ce^x for some undetermined constant C.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to describe the rate of change of a system over time.

What is the order of this differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is determined by the highest order derivative present in the equation. In this case, the order is 1.

What is the solution to this differential equation?

The solution to a differential equation is a function that satisfies the equation. In this case, the solution is y = (1/2)x - 1.

How is a differential equation different from a regular equation?

A differential equation involves derivatives, while a regular equation does not. It also describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives, rather than just the relationship between variables.

What is the significance of the constant in the solution to this differential equation?

The constant in the solution represents the initial condition of the system. It is determined by the specific problem being solved and can affect the behavior of the solution over time.