Defining Polygons with Precision: A Review of Basic Polygon Terminology

In summary, the conversation discusses a book on principles of mathematics and the need to form accurate definitions for different polygons. The speaker asks for help in checking their definitions and receives feedback on their statements. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing gratitude for the nitpicking, as it helps them to improve their precision in math.
Dembadon
Gold Member
I'm working through the following book: Principles of Mathematics, by Allendoerfer & Oakley.

Since I haven't taken a proof-based course yet, and won't be able to until spring 2012 :grumpy:, I want to make sure that I'm not forming habits that will hurt me when I do. There are some answers that aren't provided in the back of the book, so I want to check them with you all.

On Page 5, Problem 2:

1. Homework Statement

Assume that polygon, side of a polygon, angle, length of side, equal, and parallel, have been previously defined. Then define:

a) Parallelogram.
b) Rhombus.
c) Pentagon.
d) Regular Pentagon.
e) Trapezoid.
f) Hexagon.

2. Homework Equations

I believe the exercise wants to ensure that I'm using the "if and only if" bi-conditional logical connective correctly. My understanding is that the "if" includes all of the cases that follow the next clause, and "only if" excludes all others. So, I need to make sure that my definitions do not include other polygons.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Parallelogram: A four-sided polygon is a parallelogram if and only if it has two sets of parallel sides.

Rhombus: A four-sided polygon is a rhombus if and only if its sides are equal and has two pairs of congruent angles.

Pentagon: A polygon is a pentagon if and only if it has 5 sides.

Regular Pentagon: A polygon is a regular pentagon if and only if it has 5 equal sides.

Trapezoid: A four-sided polygon is a Trapezoid if and only if it has two parallel sides and two pairs of congruent angles.

Hexagon: A polygon is a hexagon if and only if it has 6 sides.

Thank you for your help.

Edit: I have avoided simply looking up the definitions on the internet so that I'm given the chance to reason my way to an answer, if possible.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dembadon! :smile:

Just a few comments on your statements (mostly nitpicking, but that is what math is about :wink:).

In a rhombus the sides are not equal (that would be pretty weird!), but the lengths of the sides are equal.

The two pairs of congruent angles are redundant in a rhombus (but not wrong).

A pentagon with 5 sides of equal length does not have to be regular.
Perhaps you could try to find an example?

A trapezoid does not have to have two pairs of congruent angles.
Perhaps you could look up the definition of a trapezoid?

The rest looks good! :smile:

I like Serena said:
Hi Dembadon! :smile:

Just a few comments on your statements (mostly nitpicking, but that is what math is about :wink:).

In a rhombus the sides are not equal (that would be pretty weird!), but the lengths of the sides are equal.

The two pairs of congruent angles are redundant in a rhombus (but not wrong).

A pentagon with 5 sides of equal length does not have to be regular.
Perhaps you could try to find an example?

A trapezoid does not have to have two pairs of congruent angles.
Perhaps you could look up the definition of a trapezoid?

The rest looks good! :smile:

Hello!

Thank you, ILS. Nitpicking is exactly what I was hoping for! I need, and want, to learn to be as precise as possible.

Dembadon said:
Hello!

Thank you, ILS. Nitpicking is exactly what I was hoping for! I need, and want, to learn to be as precise as possible.

Good!
I've been tuning my nitpicking back in real life, since it usually mostly irritates people, but I believe it is invaluable in math and programming. :wink:

1. What is the definition of a polygon?

A polygon is a two-dimensional shape that is made up of straight lines connected together to form a closed shape. The word polygon comes from the Greek words poly, meaning "many," and gonia, meaning "angle."

2. How many sides does a polygon have?

A polygon can have any number of sides, but it must have at least three sides. Polygons with three sides are called triangles, four sides are called quadrilaterals, five sides are called pentagons, and so on. The sum of the interior angles of a polygon with n sides is equal to (n-2)180 degrees.

3. What is the difference between a regular and irregular polygon?

A regular polygon is a polygon with all sides and angles equal. An irregular polygon is a polygon with sides and angles that are not equal. Regular polygons are often symmetrical and can be easily identified by their equal sides and angles.

4. Can a circle be considered a polygon?

No, a circle cannot be considered a polygon. A polygon must have straight sides, while a circle has a curved boundary. However, a polygon can have an infinite number of sides, and as the number of sides increases, it becomes closer to a circle.

5. What is the difference between a convex and concave polygon?

A convex polygon is a polygon in which all interior angles are less than 180 degrees. This means that all of its sides point outwards, away from the center. On the other hand, a concave polygon has at least one interior angle that is greater than 180 degrees, and some of its sides point inwards, towards the center.