Minimum area of an odd number-sided, equilateral polygon with side lengths of 1 unit.

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of equilateral polygons with an odd number of sides and each side length equal to 1 unit. The area of the equilateral triangle is \dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{4} square units and the question is raised if the area of any other polygon in this group is less than this value. The conversation also mentions that a proof for this problem exists, but the speaker has not fully understood it. Lastly, it is clarified that the equilateral triangle is also a regular polygon.
checkitagain
Suppose you look at all of the equilateral (non-self-intersecting)
polygons** with an odd number of sides, and each side length is
equal to 1 unit.

For examples, the polygon with the fewest number of sides in this group
is the equilateral triangle, and then the next one is an equilateral pentagon.

Has anyone thought about this?

The area of the equilateral triangle is [tex]\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{4}[/tex] square units.Is the area of any of these certain polygons (beyond the equilateral triangle)

less than [tex]\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{4}[/tex] square units?
Please, do not attempt any sort of a proof. The one I saw
(and did not fully digest), is about two and a half pages long.
And, to me, I couldn't see the motivations for using the
strategies in the proof.** These are not limited to regular polygons in general.
The equilateral triangle happens to also be regular.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since you don't want a proof I'll just say no!

biffboy said:
Since you don't want a proof I'll just say no!

From the problem statement, I would have (some type of past tense) gone with "yes."

I would have thought about the snake-like effect of the sides twisting around and what
I believed to be a decreasing net area.

1. What is the minimum area of an odd number-sided, equilateral polygon with side lengths of 1 unit?

The minimum area of an odd number-sided, equilateral polygon with side lengths of 1 unit is dependent on the number of sides. As the number of sides increases, the minimum area also increases.

2. How do you calculate the minimum area of an odd number-sided, equilateral polygon with side lengths of 1 unit?

To calculate the minimum area of an odd number-sided, equilateral polygon with side lengths of 1 unit, you can use the formula A = (s^2 * n) / (4 * tan(180/n)), where s is the length of one side and n is the number of sides.

3. Can the minimum area of an odd number-sided, equilateral polygon with side lengths of 1 unit be negative?

No, the minimum area of any polygon cannot be negative. It is always a positive value.

4. What is the shape of the minimum area of an odd number-sided, equilateral polygon with side lengths of 1 unit?

The shape of the minimum area of an odd number-sided, equilateral polygon with side lengths of 1 unit is a regular polygon with all sides and angles equal.

5. Why is the minimum area of an odd number-sided, equilateral polygon with side lengths of 1 unit important?

The minimum area of an odd number-sided, equilateral polygon with side lengths of 1 unit is important in geometry and real-world applications, as it helps determine the smallest amount of space needed to enclose a certain shape or figure.