Expectations for a graduate program

In summary, the speaker is graduating next year with an EE degree and plans to attend a VTech MSc program in Egypt, which will involve traveling to the US for one year. They are unsure of what is expected of them in terms of GPA, knowledge, research, experience, projects, and internships when applying for the program. They also hope to find a job at an electronic design firm during their stay in the US and are curious about what level of knowledge and skills companies expect from new EEs. The speaker also apologizes for posting in the wrong forum and provides a link to the VTech program website for more information.
abdo375
I'll be graduating next year with an EE degree, and I decided to take a shoot at a VTech MSc program deployed here in Egypt, by which I will be traveling to USA for one year to complete my courses, although based here in Egypt, I will be compared to undergraduates from all over the US, and graduate school's here in Egypt have very low admission numbers and anyone is accepted hence have such low standard so I was hoping you'd help me with these two question's

1-What's expected from me when applying for the VTech program as a fresh graduate (GPA, knowledge, Research, experience, projects, internships,...)?

2-Since I'll be staying for over a year at the US, I was hoping that I'd hookup with an electronic design firm, so what does these company expect my level knowledge to be (Programming languages, certain area's I should know about...)?

btw I just realized I posted in the wrong thread, sorry.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
No worries on the forum choice -- you are asking about EE degree and jobs and such.

-1- I'm not familiar with the VTech MSc program and what's expected. Do you have a web pointer to more info about it?

-2- Here's a helpful thread where we talk about what employers are looking for in new EEs:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=126112

Thanks for the link of the thread
The link for the VT program in Egypt is
http://tdl.ece.vt.edu/VT-MENA/
it has a link for the VTech graduate site in the faq section.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the average length of a graduate program?

The length of a graduate program varies depending on the field of study and the specific program. Typically, a master's program can range from 1-3 years, while a doctoral program can take anywhere from 4-7 years to complete.

What are the admission requirements for a graduate program?

The admission requirements for a graduate program can vary, but most commonly include a bachelor's degree from an accredited university, a competitive GPA, letters of recommendation, a personal statement or essay, and standardized test scores such as the GRE or GMAT.

What is the difference between a thesis and a non-thesis program?

A thesis program typically requires students to conduct original research and write a thesis paper, while a non-thesis program may require additional coursework or a final project instead of a thesis. The requirements for each type of program can vary, so it is important to research the specific program you are interested in.

What funding options are available for graduate students?

Graduate students may have a variety of funding options available to them, including scholarships, grants, teaching or research assistantships, and loans. It is important to research and apply for funding opportunities early, as they can be competitive.

What are the career outcomes for graduates of this program?

The career outcomes for graduates of a graduate program can vary depending on the field of study and the specific program. It is important to research the job market and career prospects for your desired field of study. Many programs also offer career services and resources to help students prepare for the job market.