Calculating Escape Velocity for Reaching Altitude of 800km

In summary, the conversation is about finding the minimum speed at which a body must be projected vertically upward from the Earth's surface to reach an altitude of 800 km without air resistance. The formula used is Kf + Uf = Ki + Ui, where Kf is the final kinetic energy, Uf is the final gravitational potential energy, Ki is the initial kinetic energy, and Ui is the initial gravitational potential energy. With the given values of 800 km for altitude, 6.37x10^6 m for the radius of Earth, and 5.99x10^24 kg for the mass of Earth, the minimum speed is calculated to be 3.74x10^3 m/s. The conversation also discusses
naeblis
Q: In the absenceof air resistance, the least speed with which a body must be projected vertically upward from the Earth's surface if it is to reach an altitude of 800km is...

800km = 8.00x10^5 m
radius of Earth = 6.37x10^6 m
mass of Earth = 5.99x10^24 kg

Kf +Uf = Ki + Ui
0 + 0 = 1/2 mv^2 + (- G Me m / Re + 800km )
1/2 mv^2 = G Me m / Re +800km
m drops out
v = square root of [ (2)(6.67x10^-11)(5.99x10^24)/(7.17x10^6) ]
v = 1.06x10^4 m/s

is this right? thanks in advance for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at your Uf and Ui. Are you sure that Uf is 0? Are you sure about that expression for Ui?

-Dale

The change in kinetic energy = change in gravitational potential energy if one neglects air resistance (i.e. nonconservative forces).

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/gpot.html

So the objective is to find the initial velocity at which a projectile will leave the Earth's surface, r1 = re, and travel to a radius, r2 = re + 800 km.

So there is an initial KE and GPE and a final KE and GPE, the total energy (KE + GPE) being equal. KE = kinetic energy and GPE being gravitational potential energy.

The minimum speed coincides with KEf = 0, and thus KEi = 1/2 mvi2 = [itex]\Delta[/itex]GPE.

Your initial potential energy muz include the energy of the body on the surface of the earth... It's not zero.

ok i think i have it now

Kf + Uf = Ki + Ui
0 [because its a minimum velocity] + ( -G Me m / Re +800km ) [potential at 800km] = 1/2 m v^2 + ( -G Me m / Re ) [potential at the begining, the surface of the earth]

then through some algebra we can solve for v

2 [ {-(6.67x10^-11)(5.98x10^24)/(6.37x10^6)+(8.00x10^5)} + {(6.67x10^-11)(5.98x10^24)/(6.37x10^6)} ] = v^2

v = 3.74x10^3 m/s is this right?

hoping my arithmetic is right but i think i got it thanks in advancefor verification!

Yup.. tat shld be the correct ans.

1. What is escape velocity sorta?

Escape velocity sorta is a concept used in astrophysics to describe the minimum speed that an object needs to reach in order to escape the gravitational pull of another object. It is called "sorta" because it takes into account factors such as air resistance and the curvature of space-time, which can affect the actual required velocity.

2. How is escape velocity sorta calculated?

Escape velocity sorta is calculated using the formula: ve = √(2GM/r), where ve is the escape velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object being escaped from, and r is the distance between the two objects. This formula takes into account the factors that make escape velocity sorta different from traditional escape velocity.

3. Can escape velocity sorta be achieved by any object?

No, escape velocity sorta can only be achieved by objects with enough initial velocity and/or propulsion to overcome the gravitational pull of the object they are trying to escape from. For example, Earth's escape velocity sorta is around 11.2 km/s, which is why only objects with powerful rockets or engines are able to leave Earth's orbit.

4. How does escape velocity sorta relate to the concept of escape velocity?

Escape velocity sorta is a more accurate calculation of the minimum speed required to escape the gravitational pull of an object compared to traditional escape velocity. Traditional escape velocity only takes into account the mass and radius of the object, while escape velocity sorta takes into account other factors that can affect the actual required velocity.

5. Is escape velocity sorta the same for all objects?

No, escape velocity sorta varies depending on the mass and radius of the object being escaped from. For example, the escape velocity sorta for Earth is different from the escape velocity sorta for the Moon, since they have different masses and radii. Additionally, escape velocity sorta can also vary for the same object depending on its distance from the object being escaped from.