Totally inelastic collision

In summary, two blocks with masses of 2kg and 5kg collide on a frictionless table, with one block moving at 10m/s and the other at 3.0m/s. A massless spring with a spring constant of 1120N/m is attached to one of the blocks. To determine the maximum compression of the spring, conservation of momentum and energy must be used. The final velocity of the system is found to be 5m/s, and solving for the compression of the spring yields 0.05m or 5cm. However, a numerical error may have resulted in a final answer of 25cm in the book.
suspenc3
a block of mass m1 = 2kg slides along a frictionless table with a speed of 10m/s. Directly in front of it, and moving in the same direction is a block of mass m2 = 5kg moving at 3.0m/s. A massless spring with a spring constant of k = 1120N/m is attached to the near side of m2. When the blocks collide what is the max compression of the spring?

Ok, this would be treated as a totally inelastic collision because at the point of max compression, the two masses will be moving together as one, right?

my question is how do I incorporate the spring constant into the forumlas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to use both energy and momentum in this situation. Use conservation of momentum to determine the velocity of the m1-m2 system at the point of maximum compression, then calculate the difference in kinetic and potential energies in the initial and final situations to determine how much potential energy is stored in the spring and thus how far it is compressed.

yes...That makes sence..heres what I did

[tex]p_1_i + p_2_i = p_2_f[/tex]
[tex]m_1v_1_i + m_2v_2_i = (m_1 + m_2)V[/tex]

Solve for V:

[tex]V = 5m/s[/tex]

and then:

[tex]K_i + U_i = K_f + U_f[/tex]
[tex]1/2m_1v_1^2 + 1/2m_2v_2^2 + 0 = 1/2(m_1 + m_2)V^2 + 1/2kx^2[/tex]

solve for x yields 0.05m or 5cm...but in the book it should be 25cm

What did I do wrong?

Looks like it's just a numerical/algebraic error. Your final velocity is correct and your equation relating the energies is correct, double check your calculation when solving for x.

What is a totally inelastic collision?

A totally inelastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where they stick together and move as one object after the collision. This type of collision results in a loss of kinetic energy and is also known as a completely inelastic collision.

What is the difference between a totally inelastic collision and an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other and there is no loss of kinetic energy. However, in a totally inelastic collision, the objects stick together and there is a loss of kinetic energy.

What factors affect the outcome of a totally inelastic collision?

The mass and velocity of the objects involved in the collision are the main factors that affect the outcome. The larger the mass and the higher the velocity, the greater the loss of kinetic energy and the more the objects will stick together after the collision.

Is momentum conserved in a totally inelastic collision?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains constant. In a totally inelastic collision, the momentum is conserved even though there is a loss of kinetic energy.

What real-life examples demonstrate a totally inelastic collision?

A car crash, where the two cars stick together after the collision, is an example of a totally inelastic collision. Another example is when a baseball hits a catcher's mitt and the ball sticks to the mitt, losing some of its kinetic energy in the process.