Automatic glass filling system for champagne

In summary, the system would detect when a specific glass was filled and then signal a robotic arm to pour the champagne into the correct glass.
GMIT34
Hie i am doing my final project, and i will be working on an Automatic glass filling system for champagne.This will involve emptying the champagne into 4-5 glasses and having them ready for delivery to the respective tables.
I am trying to find out if anyone has an idea of how i can sense the presence of the champagne glass and be able to have the system to tell if the glasses are empty or not?Any ideas??

Engineering news on Phys.org
Industrially you would probably use a load cell (ie weigh each glass) as a project I would try a video camera and recognise the glass in the picture

Thank you with the reply,the video camera or photo comparison sounds a very good idea.will research more into that.

You could try "faking" an industrial load cell. My idea is something like this. The glasses are put on a small plate which is held by a vertical spring(s). The weight of the empty glasses lines up an electrical connection. Further weight (i.e. full glasses) pushes the connection past the point of connection so that there is a weight range of which the filler will operate.

I guess one problem of my setup would be the actual connection of course. My first guess would be magnetic, but they would have the effect of holding the plate from falling properly. You would need some sort of lubricant and a separation plate.

Oo, another idea (curious cause I might be a boozehound myself). The plate is again on a spring (but just a soft spring to keep it from falling quickly). The plate is attached to a vertical gear rack. That rack is then in turn connected to a pinion, which is attached to the bottle. Now, the fully mechanical design works like this.

The glasses are placed on the plate. The weight of the glasses pushes the rack down, which turns the pinion. The bottle is then tipped over enough to start pouring. The liquid is poured into a manifold (tube) which has holes cut into it, which will be lined up with the glasses.

Upon filling, the glasses get heavier, and the plate pushes farther down on the spring. When the glasses are full, the racked will be pushed down far enough such that the rack becomes disengaged from the pinion. With nothing holding the pinion, it rotates back to its starting point (by way of another spring).

The problem here would be implementing some sort of ratcheting action on the rack to enable them to become engaged again without disturbing the pinion.

what about an optical sensor system? the glass is inserted, trips one sensor. The glass then files until it trips another. If you are using all the same style glasses it should work perfectly. Just don't forget a time delay or it will start filling before the glass is fully inserted.

I have a similar device that uses a scale with an operational window - you set the glass on the pad, once the scale reads the expected weight (and not over! which means it won't start pouring until you take your hand away from the surface of the load cell and the glass), a nozzle lowers then a precise amount of liquid is poured into the glass, measured by volume rather than how full the glass is. The only problem with this setup is that you need to calibrate both the scale and volume dispensed to the parameters of the glass you are using and you must do so every time you use a glass that is a different weight or volume. I could imagine such a dispenser having multiple presets however mine does not.

Simple solution - use a set of identical glasses. Cheers!

p.s. This type of system would be much less expensive to build than using optical sensors and it would not be difficult to incorporate an assembly line

Last edited:

1. How does the automatic glass filling system for champagne work?

The system uses sensors to detect when a glass is placed under the dispenser. Once the glass is detected, the system uses a pre-programmed amount of pressure to dispense the champagne into the glass. The pressure is controlled to ensure that the glass is not overfilled, and to maintain the desired level of carbonation in the champagne.

2. Is the automatic glass filling system for champagne accurate?

Yes, the system is highly accurate. It uses precise measurements and pressure control to ensure that each glass is filled to the same level, providing consistency in taste and presentation. Additionally, the use of sensors eliminates the risk of human error in filling the glasses.

3. How does the automatic glass filling system prevent spillage?

The system uses a drip tray and a drainage system to collect any excess champagne that may spill during the filling process. This prevents spillage and keeps the serving area clean and dry. Additionally, the pressure control in the system helps to prevent overfilling, which can also lead to spillage.

4. Can the automatic glass filling system be adjusted for different glass sizes?

Yes, the system can be programmed to accommodate different glass sizes. This allows for flexibility in serving different types of champagne or in using different types of glassware. The system can also be adjusted to dispense different amounts of champagne for various serving sizes.

5. Is the automatic glass filling system easy to maintain?

Yes, the system is designed for easy maintenance. It is made with durable materials that are easy to clean, and the sensors and pressure control mechanisms can be easily calibrated and adjusted if needed. Regular maintenance and cleaning can help to ensure the longevity and efficiency of the system.