Oil density and viscosity a 20°C

In summary: I get the formula parameters?There an ISO standard for each ISO oil type?The commonly referenced SAE standards are not meant to give "exact values". They are a way to label oils so that a particular brand of oil is known to be suitable for a particular application. Oil densities can vary widely depending on the type of oil and the additives it contains. If you want "exact" values for a particular brand of commercially available oil, the best source of information would be the manufacturer's technical services department.
serbring
Hi,

I'm performing some calculations and I need oil viscosity at 20°C. I have checked in some standards like SAE or ISO, but the lowest temperature I have found is 40°C. How may I extrapolate the viscosity a 20°C? Moreover I need a precise value of oil density, does someone know this value?

Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Mugambo said:
Please refer to the temperature dependence of liquid viscosity on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_dependence_of_liquid_viscosity

Plug in the already available data (40°C) to extrapolate required data (20°C)

thanks for the posted link, however where can I get the formula parameters?

There an ISO standard for each ISO oil type?

The commonly referenced SAE standards are not meant to give "exact values". They are a way to label oils so that a particular brand of oil is known to be suitable for a particular application.

The viscosity changes over the working life of an oil as its chemical composition degrades and it dissolves contaminants from its environment, so the practical requirement is to stay within a RANGE of viscosities for a minimum amount of time (before the oil is changed), not to have an "exact" value of viscosity.

Oil densities can vary widely depending on the type of oil and the additives it contains.

If you want "exact" values for a particular brand of commercially available oil, the best source of information would be the manufacturer's technical services department.

AlephZero said:
The commonly referenced SAE standards are not meant to give "exact values". They are a way to label oils so that a particular brand of oil is known to be suitable for a particular application.

The viscosity changes over the working life of an oil as its chemical composition degrades and it dissolves contaminants from its environment, so the practical requirement is to stay within a RANGE of viscosities for a minimum amount of time (before the oil is changed), not to have an "exact" value of viscosity.

Oil densities can vary widely depending on the type of oil and the additives it contains.

If you want "exact" values for a particular brand of commercially available oil, the best source of information would be the manufacturer's technical services department.

So, do I have to ask to oil supplier for getting the formula coefficients? I believed in oil classification standards there are formula coefficients too. I haven't the standard, and so before to buy it I want to understan if it is really useful for my application.
Thanks

1. What is the difference between density and viscosity?

Density refers to the mass per unit volume of a substance, while viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. In simpler terms, density is how much matter is packed into a given space, while viscosity is how easily that matter can flow.

2. How is oil density measured at 20°C?

Oil density at 20°C is typically measured using a hydrometer or a densitometer. These devices measure the specific gravity of the oil, which is then converted to density using a conversion chart. The specific gravity is the ratio of the density of the oil to the density of water at the same temperature.

3. Why is 20°C the standard temperature for measuring oil density and viscosity?

20°C is commonly used as the standard temperature for measuring oil density and viscosity because it is close to room temperature and is a reasonable representation of the temperature at which oil is typically used. It also allows for easier comparison between different types of oils.

4. How does temperature affect the density and viscosity of oil?

As temperature increases, both the density and viscosity of oil decrease. This is because heat causes the molecules in the oil to move faster, making it less dense and more fluid. As a result, oil becomes easier to pour and flows more easily at higher temperatures.

5. What are the units of measurement for oil density and viscosity?

The most common unit of measurement for oil density is kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3) or grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3). Viscosity is typically measured in units of centipoise (cP) or millipascal seconds (mPa·s).