Device that can assist lifting a force of 700 N or greater?

In summary: N (the downward force) is equivalent to 71kg or 160lbs.Ok great, is their any resources where I could find out how to decipher how many N is equivalent to pounds?There are a few resources online that can help with this. Try searching for "linear actuator pounds calculator" or "linear actuator conversion calculator".
socalfusions
Are their any devices currently available that can assist a human in exerting a force of 700 N or greater? Exactly how much force is 700 N equivalent to?

Hydraulics are the only thing that comes to my mind, is their anything lighter? What do exoskeletons use to assist the user to lift greater weights?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi socalfusions,
You can try screw jack(power screws) which are used to lift cars. They are probably the lightest and can lift up heavy loads like automobiles.

700 Newtons force is equivalent to about 71 kilograms or 160 pounds.

Bob S

koolraj09 said:
Hi socalfusions,
You can try screw jack(power screws) which are used to lift cars. They are probably the lightest and can lift up heavy loads like automobiles.

Thanks for the suggestion, are these the same things as your average car jack in the trunk of a car? I'm looking for a device that can rapidly assist in exerting a constant up and down force of 700 N in addition to the person being able to carry the device on them.

Bob S said:
700 Newtons force is equivalent to about 71 kilograms or 160 pounds.

Bob S

Ok great, is their any resources where I could find out how to decipher how many N is equivalent to pounds?

socalfusions said:
Ok great, is their any resources where I could find out how to decipher how many N is equivalent to pounds?
Try this on-line one

http://www.convertunits.com/from/Newton/to/pound

It gives 157.3662597101 pounds for 700 Newtons.

Bob S

Yes, these are the same things as your average car jack in the trunk of a car.
Also try and google "linear actuators"

Bob S said:
Try this on-line one

http://www.convertunits.com/from/Newton/to/pound

It gives 157.3662597101 pounds for 700 Newtons.

Bob S

Excellent, thank you!

koolraj09 said:
Yes, these are the same things as your average car jack in the trunk of a car.
Also try and google "linear actuators"

After some quick research on linear actuators they seemed to fit the bill of what I was looking for initially. They appear to move quite slowly, although I didn't look up every type which their appear to be quite a variety of different kinds.

Are they capable of quick motions or are they limited to slow ones? What kinds of weight can you expect them to lift, possibly up to 160+ pounds? Are they small enough to where you could carry them on yourself essentially like an exoskeleton? Are they self powered or do they require an external power source? Are they generally light in weight or quite heavy?

I appreciate the feedback :approve:

socalfusions said:
Are they capable of quick motions or are they limited to slow ones? What kinds of weight can you expect them to lift, possibly up to 160+ pounds? Are they small enough to where you could carry them on yourself essentially like an exoskeleton? Are they self powered or do they require an external power source? Are they generally light in weight or quite heavy?

You are asking "how long is a piece of string". There are linear actuators that produce forces of any size you want from fractions of an ounce to hundreds of tons, at a whole range of speeds.

The poiwer requirement obviously depends what you want to actuator to do. Some basic formulas are

Work = force x distance
Power = work / time
Power = force x velocity

AlephZero said:
You are asking "how long is a piece of string". There are linear actuators that produce forces of any size you want from fractions of an ounce to hundreds of tons, at a whole range of speeds.

The poiwer requirement obviously depends what you want to actuator to do. Some basic formulas are

Work = force x distance
Power = work / time
Power = force x velocity

I see, I wasn't aware of how broad the customization of linear actuators were. That's amazing that they can produce forces into the tons!

Are linear actuators essentially completely customizable in any shape or form considering that you have the right equipment to create them?

Are you familiar with "fluidic muscles" (Festo makes some)? Though they only work in tension they are relatively fast acting and light weight.

tvavanasd said:
Are you familiar with "fluidic muscles" (Festo makes some)? Though they only work in tension they are relatively fast acting and light weight.

No I've never heard of them before, I'll do some research on them they sound very interesting.

socalfusions said:

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. So I'll explain to you how it's done rather than give you an online calculator.

Okay, firstly, if an object is exerting a force of 700N downwards, then its mass can easily be calculated, as W = m*g, where W = weight (in Newtons, which is described as a force in this instance), m = its mass in kilograms, and g = acceleration due to gravity, i.e. 9.81m/s/s.

Therefore rearranging the above equation to find m yields m = W/g = 700/9/81 = 71.36kg. Now, there are roughly 2.2lbs per kilogram, so multiplying this figure by 2.2 gives ~157lbs.

1. What is the maximum weight that this device can lift?

The device is capable of lifting a force of 700 N or greater, which is equivalent to approximately 70 kg or 154 lbs.

2. How does this device assist with lifting a heavy force?

This device uses mechanical systems such as pulleys, levers, or hydraulics to distribute the weight and reduce the amount of force needed to lift the load.

3. Can this device be used for both heavy and light loads?

Yes, this device can be adjusted to lift a variety of weights, making it suitable for both heavy and light loads.

4. Is this device easy to operate?

The ease of operation depends on the specific design of the device. However, most devices that assist with lifting heavy forces are user-friendly and require minimal training or expertise to operate.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using this device?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and instructions provided by the manufacturer when operating this device. Some safety precautions may include using appropriate protective gear and ensuring that the load is properly secured before lifting.