Conservation of linear momentum particle accelerator

In summary, You are using a particle accelerator to send a beam of 3.60×10^7 protons at a gas target of an unknown element. Some of the protons bounce back with a speed of 3.30×10^7 after colliding with the unknown nuclei. Using conservation of linear momentum, the mass of one nucleus of the unknown element can be expressed in terms of the proton mass. Additionally, the speed of the unknown nucleus immediately after the collision can be calculated to be 3.00x10^6. Your initial velocity is 0 and the constant for mass is m.
MissEuropa

Homework Statement

You are at the controls of a particle accelerator, sending a beam of 3.60×10^7 protons (mass m ) at a gas target of an unknown element. Your detector tells you that some protons bounce straight back after a collision with one of the nuclei of the unknown element. All such protons rebound with a speed of 3.30×10^7 . Assume that the initial speed of the target nucleus is negligible and the collision is elastic.
a)Find the mass of one nucleus of the unknown element. Express your answer in terms of the proton mass m.
b)What is the speed of the unknown nucleus immediately after such a collision?
This portion I've calculated to be 3.00x10^6.

Homework Equations

Conservation of linear momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done research to try and find out how to approach this problem. There's a similar thread from a couple of years ago located here https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=145536 that has different values.

I am not entirely sure where to begin, and am having trouble sorting through the suggestions listed in the old thread. I know I'll have to use conservation of linear momentum. My algebra skills are rusty, (public school sucks) so solving for variables is a struggle for me.

From the problem I know Vo (Initial velocity) = 0
And the mass is k (a constant) followed by m.

Physics news on Phys.org
"sending a beam of 3.60×10^7 protons"

Are you sure that this isn't a velocity?

What is the conservation of linear momentum in a particle accelerator?

The conservation of linear momentum in a particle accelerator is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system of particles remains constant, regardless of any internal forces or interactions between the particles.

How does the conservation of linear momentum apply to particle accelerators?

In a particle accelerator, the conservation of linear momentum is crucial for the proper functioning of the machine. As particles are accelerated and collide with each other, their total momentum must remain constant in order for the laws of physics to be upheld.

Why is the conservation of linear momentum important in particle accelerators?

The conservation of linear momentum is important in particle accelerators because it ensures that the particles being accelerated and collided follow the laws of physics. Without this conservation, the results of experiments and studies conducted in the accelerator would be unreliable.

What happens if the conservation of linear momentum is violated in a particle accelerator?

If the conservation of linear momentum is violated in a particle accelerator, it could lead to inaccurate results and potentially dangerous situations. The particles being accelerated and collided may not behave as expected, and the overall functioning of the machine could be compromised.

How is the conservation of linear momentum maintained in a particle accelerator?

The conservation of linear momentum is maintained in a particle accelerator through careful design and engineering of the machine. The particles are accelerated and controlled using electromagnetic fields and precise calculations to ensure that their total momentum remains constant throughout the process.