Register to reply

Surface area and volume uniquely determine a shape

by JanEnClaesen
Tags: determine, shape, surface, uniquely, volume
Share this thread:
JanEnClaesen
May9-14, 07:49 AM
P: 57
Is this so? I cannot think of a counter-example and it is too general a statement to prove.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Iranian is first woman to win 'Nobel Prize of maths' (Update)
Nugatory
May9-14, 08:00 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,652
A counterexample: two human hands, identical except that on is a left hand and the other is a right hand.

There are many more: a cube with two cylindrical protrusions, has the same area and volume no matter how you move the protusions around.
JanEnClaesen
May9-14, 08:09 AM
P: 57
Are there smooth manifolds (excepting mirroring)?
Basically you cut a shape in two parts and glue theme on another one.
Generalising your construction: construct a shape with complementary protrusions (sort of a hermaphroditic shape), cut another shape along the protrusion plane and fit the two parts in the respective protrusions. It seems to me that there will always be an edge.

Nugatory
May9-14, 08:49 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,652
Surface area and volume uniquely determine a shape

Quote Quote by JanEnClaesen View Post
Are there smooth manifolds (excepting mirroring)?
Basically you cut a shape in two parts and glue theme on another one.
Generalising your construction: construct a shape with complementary protrusions (sort of a hermaphroditic shape), cut another shape along the protrusion plane and fit the two parts in the respective protrusions. It seems to me that there will always be an edge.
Why does there have to be an edge? We can join the two shapes together with a smooth fillet.

Register to reply