Hovercraft Help: Can Yamaha 440 Handle 130lb Load?

• Thread starter motomax99
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about building a hovercraft using a snowmobile engine. The speaker is asking for help regarding the weight of the engine and deck, and whether it is suitable for the Yamaha 440 snowmobile engine they have. They also mention their plan to use a plywood deck, lawnmower engine, and large inner tube for their hovercraft. The conversation also touches on the importance of choosing the right prop for maximum thrust and the speaker shares a hovercraft calculator for reference.
motomax99
i need some help with my one engine hc
i have a 85lb snomo engine and a 45lb deck and me (130lbs)
is that too heavy for a yamaha 440 snomo engine?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hmm. Don't know. I think you need to research the prop you'll use. You want to get one with as much thrust as possible. They sell hovercraft specific ones online, for like $100-200.

I've had a plan for a few years of making one using a plywood deck, lawnmower engine and (very) large innertube. Keep me posted on your progress. Perhaps you could more fully explain your plans.

motomax99 said:
i need some help with my one engine hc
i have a 85lb snomo engine and a 45lb deck and me (130lbs)
is that too heavy for a yamaha 440 snomo engine?

It depends on the HP of the Yamaha engine? Is that the 4 cycle 40 horsepower engine??

Still not enough information. We also need the physical size of the hovercraft and how high off the ground you want it to go. Try playing with this calculator for a bit: http://www.olshove.com/HoverHome/hovcalc.html

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks russ that helps alot!
my deck ids made of two pices of luan sandwiching foam covered in fiberglass
and yes the engine is 40h

scratch that 50 Hp

1. Can the Yamaha 440 handle a 130lb load?

Yes, the Yamaha 440 hovercraft is designed to handle a maximum load of 130lbs. This includes the weight of the passengers, cargo, and any additional equipment.

2. What is the maximum weight capacity of the Yamaha 440 hovercraft?

The maximum weight capacity of the Yamaha 440 hovercraft is 130lbs. This limit is set by the manufacturer and exceeding it may cause damage to the hovercraft.

3. Can the Yamaha 440 hovercraft carry more than one passenger?

Yes, the Yamaha 440 hovercraft can carry up to two passengers, as long as their combined weight does not exceed the maximum weight capacity of 130lbs.

4. Will the performance of the Yamaha 440 be affected by a 130lb load?

The performance of the Yamaha 440 may be slightly affected by a 130lb load, as it may require more power to maintain the same speed and maneuverability. However, the hovercraft is designed to handle this weight and should not experience any significant decrease in performance.

5. Is the Yamaha 440 suitable for use in different water conditions with a 130lb load?

Yes, the Yamaha 440 hovercraft is designed to operate in various water conditions, including calm lakes, rivers, and even choppy ocean waters. As long as the load does not exceed the maximum weight capacity, the hovercraft should perform well in different water conditions.