Making a Tetrahedron in Mathematica

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a tetrahedron in Mathematica with four points, a, b, c, and d, each with unique symbols and plotted within a space. The suggested solution involves giving each point x,y,z coordinates and using the Graphics3D function. The end goal is to create a visualization similar to the one shown on page 261 of the book "Evolutionary Genetics: From Molecules to Morphology."
jemma
I want to make a tetrahedron in mathematica. For example, suppose:

{a = 0.2, b = 0.5, c = 0.1, d = 0.3}
{a = 0.1, b = 0.2, c = 0.4, d = 0.3}
{a = 0.4, b = 0.3, c = 0.2, d = 0.1}
{a = 0.6, b = 0.2, c = 0.1, d = 0.1}

and I want a tetrahedrom so that the four points are a, b, c and d - and the values are plotted within the space (each set with a unique symbol such as circles, squares, etc)

Thanks in advance if you can help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean to give each point x,y,z coordinates?

If so then perhaps something like this

a={0.2,0.5,0.1};b={0.1,0.2,0.4};c={0.4,0.3,0.2};d={0.6,0.2,0.1};
Show[Graphics3D[{Polygon[{a,b,c}], Polygon[{a,b,d}],Polygon[{b,c,d}],Polygon[{c,a,d}]}]]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I create a tetrahedron in Mathematica?

To create a tetrahedron in Mathematica, you can use the built-in function "Tetrahedron" and specify the coordinates of its four vertices. For example, the command "Tetrahedron[{{0, 0, 0}, {1, 0, 0}, {0, 1, 0}, {0, 0, 1}}]" will create a tetrahedron with vertices at (0,0,0), (1,0,0), (0,1,0), and (0,0,1).

2. Can I customize the appearance of the tetrahedron?

Yes, you can use the options available for the "Tetrahedron" function to customize its appearance. Some of the available options include "EdgeStyle" to change the color and thickness of the edges, "FaceStyle" to change the color and opacity of the faces, and "VertexColors" to specify different colors for each vertex.

3. How can I rotate the tetrahedron in Mathematica?

You can use the "Manipulate" function in Mathematica to rotate the tetrahedron. For example, the command "Manipulate[Tetrahedron[{{0, 0, 0}, {1, 0, 0}, {0, 1, 0}, {0, 0, 1}}, RotationMatrix[{x, y, z}]]]" will create a slider for each of the rotation angles x, y, and z, allowing you to rotate the tetrahedron in 3D space.

4. Can I use Mathematica to calculate the volume of a tetrahedron?

Yes, you can use the "Volume" function in Mathematica to calculate the volume of a tetrahedron. Simply input the coordinates of the four vertices as the argument for the "Volume" function, and it will return the volume of the tetrahedron.

5. Is there a way to create multiple tetrahedrons at once in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the "Table" function in Mathematica to create multiple tetrahedrons at once. For example, the command "Table[Tetrahedron[RandomReal[10, {4, 3}]], {5}]" will create 5 tetrahedrons with randomly generated coordinates for each of their four vertices.