Numerical Simulations with Mathematica: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, the user is a beginner in Mathematica and wants to plot a theoretical calculation using the software. They initially thought they could just input a domain and let Mathematica do the rest, but they were incorrect. The expert suggests using the Plot command and specifying the function, variable, and range. The user also asks if this is a common tool used by researchers and if it is as easy as it seems.
shinobi20
I'm very new to Mathematica/programming and I want to do a theoretical calculation using Mathematica,
suppose I have,

##Y=CX,~~~C=constant##

Now, I want to plot Y vs. X but X should run at every point since every point is a solution for Y, how should I do this? Before, I was thinking maybe I could just give the domain (i.e. from 0 to 100 with interval 1) and then just let Mathematica do it, but I was wrong since Mathematica should calculate the value of Y for a certain X for one round then input another point then run again, etc.

Background:
* I'm really a beginner, I can just do the basic stuff in Mathematica (arithmetic, calculus, etc)
* Hands on start to mathematica (Wolfram website)
* Mathematica: A Problem Centered Approach by Roozbeh Hazrat (https://www.amazon.com/dp/1849962502/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

I will appreciate any advice on how to continue in this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
shinobi20 said:
Before, I was thinking maybe I could just give the domain (i.e. from 0 to 100 with interval 1) and then just let Mathematica do it, but I was wrong since Mathematica should calculate the value of Y for a certain X for one round then input another point then run again, etc.
With Mathematica's Plot command you need only specify the function to plot, the variable, and the variable's range. Mathematica will do the rest.

Plot[C X, {X,0,100}]

Of course, C will need to have a value for this to work.

Orodruin said:
With Mathematica's Plot command you need only specify the function to plot, the variable, and the variable's range. Mathematica will do the rest.

Plot[C X, {X,0,100}]

Of course, C will need to have a value for this to work.
Is the plot command also used by researchers when doing their theoretical simulation (assuming mathematica can)? Is it really that easy now? I thought it was a very tedious work.

Last edited by a moderator:
A simple plot should not need tedious work to be plotted, because nobody wants to waste essential time of their work trying to figure out how plotting a function works... it's not the tedious part of their work...

Last edited:

1. What is Mathematica and why is it useful for numerical simulations?

Mathematica is a powerful computational software program that allows for symbolic and numerical calculations, making it particularly useful for performing complex numerical simulations. It has a user-friendly interface and a vast library of built-in functions that make it a popular choice for scientists and researchers.

2. Is previous experience with programming necessary to use Mathematica for numerical simulations?

No, previous programming experience is not necessary to use Mathematica for numerical simulations. The program uses a high-level language that is easy to learn and does not require extensive coding knowledge. However, some familiarity with basic mathematical concepts and functions may be helpful.

3. How accurate are the results obtained from numerical simulations in Mathematica?

The accuracy of the results obtained from numerical simulations in Mathematica depends on the precision and accuracy settings used in the calculations. By default, Mathematica uses machine precision, which is accurate to around 16 digits. However, this can be increased to arbitrary precision for more accurate results.

4. Can Mathematica handle large and complex simulations?

Yes, Mathematica is capable of handling large and complex numerical simulations. It has the ability to handle large data sets and perform parallel computations to speed up the simulation process. However, the speed and performance may vary depending on the computer system being used.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to use Mathematica for numerical simulations?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning how to use Mathematica for numerical simulations. The official Mathematica website offers tutorials, documentation, and online courses for beginners. In addition, there are many books and online forums where users can exchange tips and techniques for using Mathematica for numerical simulations.