You are hired as a physicist in a team of Formula 1.

Then use Newton's Second Law to get acceleration. Then use the definition of acceleration to get velocity, then speed.
kamosblue

Homework Statement

You are hired as a physicist in a team of Formula 1. Your driver is driving in the
Germany Grand Prix on the Hockenheim track. After the test session taken in sunny day
you and the driver discuss about the sharpest turn on the track. He tells you that when
driving at 90 km/h he could hardly hold the track. During the Grand Prix, just ten laps to
go, it starts to rain. The driver decides to continue on the same tyres. You have to
calculate the new maximal safe speed at this turn. The tyre-to-road static friction
coefficient is 0.8 for dry and 0.5 for wet road conditions. What would be the speed if the
turn were profiled at an angle of 7º?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to start it

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi kamosblue! welcome to pf! :wink:
kamosblue said:
… when driving at 90 km/h he could hardly hold the track.

The tyre-to-road static friction coefficient is 0.8 for dry …

start by finding the radius of curvature of the turn …

show us what you get :smile:

Maybe start by getting the equation for forces for a body following a circular path.

1. What is your role as a physicist in a Formula 1 team?

As a physicist in a Formula 1 team, my role is to analyze and optimize the performance of the car through the use of scientific principles and concepts. This includes understanding the aerodynamics, mechanics, and materials used in the car, as well as collecting and interpreting data from sensors and simulations.

2. How does your work contribute to the success of the team?

My work directly contributes to the success of the team by improving the overall performance and speed of the car. By utilizing my expertise in physics, I can help the team make informed decisions on design changes and fine-tune the car for maximum performance on the track.

3. What kind of challenges do you face as a physicist in a Formula 1 team?

One of the main challenges I face is finding the right balance between speed and stability. The car needs to be fast enough to win races, but also stable enough to handle the high speeds and turns of the track. Additionally, there can be time constraints and pressure to constantly improve the car's performance.

4. How do you work with other team members, such as engineers and drivers?

Collaboration is crucial in a Formula 1 team, and I work closely with other team members to share data and insights. I work closely with engineers to develop and test new designs, and also communicate with drivers to understand their feedback and make adjustments accordingly.

5. What do you find most exciting about being a physicist in a Formula 1 team?

The most exciting part of my job is seeing the direct impact of my work on the race results. It's incredibly rewarding to see the car perform well on the track and know that my contributions played a part in that success. Additionally, being part of such a high-pressure and fast-paced environment is a constant source of excitement and challenge.