Hohmann Transfer Particle Problem

• Thread starter QuantumDefect
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving a particle in elliptical motion and an applied tangential impulse. It is suggested to consider the energy of the system and find equations relating velocity to the length of the major and minor axis. It is also mentioned that the resulting relative change in the axes is twice the relative change in velocity and that the axes are increased.
QuantumDefect
Hello again! :rofl: Anyway here is the problem i need to do, I don't expect anyone to solve it for me, I just want a little kick in the right direction. Here it is:

A particle executes elliptical(but almost circular) motion about a force center. at some point in the orbit a tangential impulse is applied to the particle, changing the velocity from v to v+dv. SHow that the resulting relative change in the major and minor axes of the orbit is twice the relative change in the velocity and that the axes are increased. THanks again :)

Physics news on Phys.org
me thinks you need only consider the energy of the system; ie find some orbital energy equations and such on the net, and relate them to velocity. You cetainly need a formula or formulas relating velocity to the length of the major and minor axis. :P

Last edited:

What is the Hohmann Transfer Particle Problem?

The Hohmann Transfer Particle Problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the optimal trajectory for a spacecraft to transfer from one circular orbit to another using the least amount of fuel.

What are the main assumptions of the Hohmann Transfer Particle Problem?

The main assumptions of the Hohmann Transfer Particle Problem are that the orbits of the two bodies involved are circular, the gravitational forces are constant, and there are no external forces acting on the spacecraft.

What is the equation used to solve the Hohmann Transfer Particle Problem?

The equation used to solve the Hohmann Transfer Particle Problem is known as the Hohmann transfer equation, which is derived from the conservation of energy and angular momentum principles.

What is the significance of the Hohmann Transfer Particle Problem?

The Hohmann Transfer Particle Problem is significant because it provides a highly efficient and cost-effective way for spacecraft to travel between different orbits, such as from Earth to Mars. It is also a crucial concept in orbital mechanics and has been used in many real-world space missions.

What are some limitations of the Hohmann Transfer Particle Problem?

Some limitations of the Hohmann Transfer Particle Problem include the assumption of circular orbits, the neglect of external forces, and the need for precise calculations and timing. It also does not take into account the effects of other celestial bodies and their gravitational forces, which can impact the trajectory of the spacecraft.