Calculating Force Applied by Parent: 163.4 N

In summary, the parent is exerting a force of 163.4N to pull the child and wagon at a constant speed of 60m with a coefficient of friction of 0.26. To determine the angle at which the force is applied, we must consider the forces of gravity and friction, and use the formula F(cos(theta)) = W/d. After calculations, the angle is determined to be 82.2 degrees, and the magnitude of the force applied by the parent is actually 270.2N.
ND3G
In many neighbourhoods, you might see parents pulling youngsters in a four-wheeled wagon. The child and the wagon have a combined mass of 50kg and the adult does 2.2 x10^3 J of work pulling the two 60m at a constant speed. The coefficient of friction for the surfaces in contact is 0.26

Determine the magnitude of the force applied by the parent

Given:
m = 50kg
W = 2200 J
d = 60m
u = 0.26

Required: Fapp

Analysis: Fapp = Fnet - Ff; Fnet = W/d; Ff = uFn; Fn = Fg; Fg = mg

Solution: Ff = (0.26)(50kg)(-9.8m/s^2) = -127.4 N

Fnet = 2200J / 60m = 36.7N

Fapp = 36.7N - (-127.4N) = 163.4N

Paraphrase: The Magnitude of the force applied by the parent is 163.4N.

Can someone kindly check this over for me and let me know if I have solved the question correctly? I haven't applied (cos) to the formula
W = F*cos*d but I wasn't sure how to solve for that part...

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems right to me. Since the problem does not give you an angle, you can only assume that the applied force is parallel to the horizontal...

Well actually, the next question asks me to determine the angle at which the parent is applying this force. I could state that it is 0 since that is what I used to solve the first part, but that is kind of a self-fulfilling answer.

I feel like I am still missing something.

Last edited:
Based on the problem, that would be my best guess...maybe I'm wrong?

ND3G said:
Well actually, the next question asks me to determine the angle at which the parent is applying this force. I could state that it is 0 since that is what I used to solve the first part, but that is kind of a self-fulfilling answer.

I feel like I am still missing something.
If you take your result for the
force applied by the parent, and multiply it by the distance moved, you don't get 2200J, so something is wrong. If the parent does 2200J of work, and the cart moves at constant speed, then how much work is done by friction?
Use that value and go from there.

OK, so here we go farther down the rabbit hole

Required:
Fapp

Analysis:
Since the speed is constant Fnet = 0
Therefore, F(a) - F(f) = 0, F(a) = F(f)
F(f) = uFn, Fn = Fg, Fg = mg

Solution:
Ff = (0.26)(50kg)(-9.8m/s^2) = -127.4 N

Analysis:
W = F(cos(theta))(d), F(cos(theta)) = W/d

Solution:
F(cos(theta)) = 2200J / 60m = 36.7 N

Analysis:
Since the parent is pulling both forward and upwards:
Fn = -[F(sin(theta)) + mg]
Pulling Force + Frictional Force = 0
Therefore, F(cos(theta)) - (0.26)[F(sin(theta)) + mg] = 0

Solution:
36.7 N - (0.26)[F(sin(theta)) - 127.4] = 0
141.2 N - [F(sin(theta)) - 127.4 N] = 0
F(sin(thetha)) = 268.6 N

Analysis:
sin(theta) / cos(theta) = tan(theta)
Cancel out F:

Solution:
268.6 N / 36.7 N = 7.31880108992

Theta = tan^-1 (7.31880108992) = 82.2 degrees

Analysis:
F = W / ((cos(theta))(d))

Solution:
F = 2200 J / ((cos(82.2)(60m)) = 270.2 N

Paraphrase:
The magnitude of force applied by the parent is 270.2 N

I'm almost positive that I still don't have it right but I think I am getting closer

Last edited:
That's not the way you do it. U're still incorrect. The Fn is not = Fg. if you still need help with the question let me know.

1. What is the formula for calculating force applied?

The formula for calculating force applied is F = m x a, where F is the force in Newtons (N), m is the mass in kilograms (kg), and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How do I calculate the force applied by a parent?

To calculate the force applied by a parent, you will need to know the mass of the parent and the acceleration of their movement. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the formula F = m x a to calculate the force in Newtons (N).

3. What is the unit of measurement for force applied?

The unit of measurement for force applied is Newtons (N). This unit is named after Sir Isaac Newton, who developed the laws of motion and is considered one of the greatest scientists in history.

4. How does the force applied by a parent affect an object?

The force applied by a parent can have different effects on an object depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. If the force is in the same direction as the object's movement, it can increase its speed. If the force is in the opposite direction, it can slow down or stop the object. The magnitude of the force also determines how much the object's velocity will change or if it will remain at a constant speed.

5. Can force applied by a parent be measured in different units?

Yes, force applied by a parent can be measured in different units such as pounds (lbs) or kilograms (kg). However, it is most commonly measured in Newtons (N) in the scientific community. It is important to use consistent units in calculations to ensure accuracy and avoid confusion.