Microsoft wants to eat your brain*

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the Microsoft researchers are trying to harness untapped brain power in order to solve problems that have so far been intractable for machines. People wearing EEG caps are able to discern within a couple hundred milliseconds whether a picture shows a human face or not, but this method is inferior to ditching the cap and having people take a second to press a button to indicate "face".
honestrosewater
Gold Member
I would find this so much cooler and less creepy if Microsoft wasn't involved. I don't like them thinking of my body as a computing resource.
Human-Aided Computing
Microsoft researchers are trying to harness untapped brain power.
By Kate Greene

Despite all the power of computers, they are still lousy at certain simple tasks, such as recognizing faces and knowing the difference between a table and a cow. Now researchers at Microsoft are trying to tap into some of the specialized--and often subconscious--computing power in the human brain, and use it to solve problems that have so far been intractable for machines.

Desney Tan, a researcher at Microsoft Research, and Pradeep Shenoy, a graduate student at the University of Washington, have devised a scheme that uses electro-encephalograph (EEG) caps to collect the brain activity of people looking at pictures of faces and nonfaces, such as horses, cars, and landscapes. http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/18962/"
*That was a joke. I don't actually know whether or not they want to eat your brain. We're still allowed to make jokes, right? Or have they patented all humorous rhetorical devices already?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Or have they patented all humorous rhetorical devices already?

Of course they have - unless you meant that rhetorically...

"There are a bunch of ethical considerations before any of this can be taken to the mass market," Tan says. For example, how distracting would it be to have pictures flash in a person's peripheral vision?

I would imagine that the nuisance of having pictures flashed in peripheral vision pales in comparison to the nuisance of having to wear an EEG cap. :rolleyes:

I really don't get this. OK, so you can strap an EEG cap on someone and discern within a couple hundred milliseconds whether a picture shows a human face or not. How is this so much better or easier than ditching the cap and having people take a second to press a button to indicate "face"? Seems like a pretty dumb and superfluous use of money and technology.

I'm not even sure this sort of thing would work very well with peripheral vision. Peripheral vision is degraded because of the nature of signal detection at the peripheries of the retina, not because of a lack of attentional processing.

honestrosewater said:
Or have they patented all humorous rhetorical devices already?

Couldn't have; they still work.

What is Microsoft's goal with "Microsoft wants to eat your brain*"?

Microsoft's goal with "Microsoft wants to eat your brain*" is to create a catchy and memorable slogan for their marketing campaign. It is not meant to be taken literally or as a threat.

Is Microsoft actually going to eat people's brains?

No, Microsoft is not planning to literally eat people's brains. The phrase is simply a marketing slogan and does not reflect their actual intentions or actions.

Why did Microsoft choose this slogan?

Microsoft chose this slogan as a way to grab people's attention and create buzz around their brand. It is meant to be provocative and humorous, and does not reflect their actual actions or intentions.

What is the purpose of this marketing campaign?

The purpose of this marketing campaign is to promote Microsoft's products and services in a memorable and attention-grabbing way. It is not meant to be taken literally and does not reflect their actual intentions or actions.

Is this slogan offensive or inappropriate?

Some people may find the slogan "Microsoft wants to eat your brain*" offensive or inappropriate, but it is important to understand that it is not meant to be taken literally. It is simply a marketing slogan and does not reflect Microsoft's actual intentions or actions.

Back