Hi everybody I thought I'd introduce myself. I have been lurking

• Thread starter jamus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, the conversation is about a 14-year-old who introduces themselves and their interest in particle physics. They have started a science fair project on the Higgs Boson particle and have some understanding of particle physics. They have read a book by Leon Lederman which has given them a basic understanding of quarks, leptons, and forces. However, they still have many questions and only two weeks to complete their project. Other members of the forum suggest reading additional books on the topic.
jamus
Hi everybody! I thought I'd introduce myself. I have been lurking around on this forum for awhile now. Yes, I am a newb.
I'm 14 and I'm doing A science fair project on particle physics. I watched a documentry on the search for the Higg's Boson particle and I thought it would be a interesting topic.
I have some understanding of particle physics. After I figured out what I was doing, I read the book " the God Particle" By Leon Lederman which gave me a very brief understanding of quarks, leptons, forces ect.
I still have a lot of questions and I only have two weeks to finish my project. I hope you can help.

James

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, you will find a lot of people who share the same interest.

I read that book too.

It's a great book and Double-L is a remarkable Physicist.

If you want to go just a little bit deeper read The Theory of Almost Everything by Robert Oerter, it explains what Leon touched on (things like QED, and QCD in a more technical term) but still leaves that nasty math stuff out for 14 year olds like you :P

That math stuff can be confusing :biggrin: thanks for the replys

What does it mean to "lurk" on a forum or online community?

"Lurking" refers to reading or observing a forum or online community without actively participating by posting or commenting. It is a common practice for new members to get a feel for the community before introducing themselves or joining in on discussions.

Why is it important to introduce yourself in online communities?

Introducing yourself in online communities allows other members to get to know you and can help build a sense of community. It also helps establish your presence and credibility within the community.

What should I include in my introduction?

Your introduction should include basic information about yourself, such as your name, age, and interests. You can also mention why you joined the community and what you hope to gain from being a member.

How can I engage with the community after introducing myself?

After introducing yourself, you can engage with the community by participating in discussions, asking questions, and sharing your thoughts and experiences. It is also important to be respectful and considerate of other members' opinions.

Is it necessary to introduce myself if I am just here to read or gather information?

No, it is not necessary to introduce yourself if you are only here to read or gather information. However, if you decide to become an active member of the community, it is recommended to introduce yourself to build connections and establish your presence within the community.