Commercial applications of Artificial Intelligence/Data Mining/NLP

In summary, the speaker is a computer science undergraduate looking for a second year internship in the fields of artificial intelligence, data mining, and natural language processing. They are specifically seeking tips on commercial companies in Europe, with a preference for the UK due to affordability. They have already found Autonomy, Inc., InforSense, Google, and Microsoft as potential options. They also mention Amazon as a potential company, specifically their ebook division, Mobipocket, which is based in France. The speaker also welcomes any suggestions from the community.
jk451
Hello,

I am looking at companies for my second year internship as a CompSci undergraduate, specifically I am thinking of Artificial Intelligence/Data Mining/Natural Langauge Processing.

I would be grateful for any tips on commercial companies that carry out some work in this field, as it does not seem very frequent.

It can be pretty much anywhere in Europe, though I would expect UK will come out as most frequent anyway; in fact the only reason for excluding US is simply that the flight there and back would be too costly for me, who can just afford EasyJet flights.

I have already found Autonomy, inc. and InforSense and certainly include Google and Microsoft.

Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
Amazon? "We noticed you bought X. Would you be interested in Y, which 95% of those who bought X also bought?"

EDIT: I believe Mobipocket, their ebook division, is based out of France, but they probably piggy-back on the main Amazon system. And welcome to PhysicsForums!

Last edited:

Hi there,

It's great to hear that you are interested in pursuing a career in Artificial Intelligence, Data Mining, and Natural Language Processing. These fields have been growing rapidly in recent years and there are many exciting opportunities for internships and jobs in this area.

Some other companies that you may want to consider for your internship are IBM, Amazon, and Apple. These companies have been investing heavily in AI and have a strong presence in Europe. In addition, there are many smaller startups in Europe that specialize in AI and data mining, such as DeepMind in the UK and NeurIPS in Germany.

It's also worth checking out job search engines and websites like LinkedIn, Glassdoor, and Indeed to see what other companies are currently hiring for roles in AI, data mining, and NLP. Networking with professionals in these fields can also help you discover potential opportunities.

Overall, the demand for AI, data mining, and NLP skills is only going to continue to grow as companies across all industries are recognizing the value and potential of these technologies. I wish you the best of luck in your search for an internship and I'm sure you will find a great company to work with!

Related to Commercial applications of Artificial Intelligence/Data Mining/NLP

1. How can AI be used in commercial applications?

AI can be used in commercial applications in various ways. It can be used to analyze large amounts of data to identify patterns and make predictions, automate tasks and processes, and improve customer experiences through chatbots and virtual assistants. Additionally, AI can be used in marketing and advertising to personalize content and target specific demographics.

2. What is the difference between AI, data mining, and NLP?

AI, or artificial intelligence, is a broad term that refers to the simulation of human intelligence in machines. Data mining is a specific technique used within AI that involves extracting useful information and patterns from large datasets. NLP, or natural language processing, is a subset of AI that focuses on teaching machines to understand and interpret human language.

3. How can data mining benefit businesses?

Data mining can benefit businesses in several ways. It can help identify patterns and trends in customer behavior, improve decision making, and identify new opportunities for growth and efficiency. Data mining can also assist in risk management and fraud detection.

4. What are some examples of successful commercial applications of NLP?

Some successful commercial applications of NLP include chatbots for customer service, virtual assistants like Siri and Alexa, and sentiment analysis for social media monitoring. NLP is also used in spam detection for emails and language translation services.

5. How can businesses ensure ethical and responsible use of AI, data mining, and NLP?

Businesses can ensure ethical and responsible use of AI, data mining, and NLP by establishing clear guidelines and policies for their use. It is important to regularly review and monitor the algorithms and data used to ensure fairness and avoid any biases. Additionally, businesses should be transparent about their use of these technologies and consider the potential consequences on individuals and society.