What are the Common Causes of Power Line Noise?

In summary, the noise emitted from high-voltage power lines is caused by the discharge of energy when the electrical field strength on the conductor surface exceeds the breakdown strength of the surrounding air. This can result in radio noise, a visible glow, corona loss, and other phenomena. Another possible explanation for the noise is the buildup of moisture on the insulators, particularly on humid days, which can cause a momentary bzzt noise. This is often noticed at night when sea breezes are blowing in.
54stickers
Hello, So I have a question about electric power lines.

Today I was under some large power lines and I noticed some ticking noises. I had never noticed this noise before and was curious

I thought maybe the current flowing through the lines was too great, and the lines were arcing
to each other. but that seems silly.

Could anyone help me out? thanks!

Note: they were the large lines that run through the large metal tower structure, not the ones along the road... If that changes anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
What causes the noise emitted from high-voltage power lines--is it static discharge, vibration from the 60-cycle field or something else entirely?

Robert Dent, president of the IEEE Power Engineering Society, responds:

"The audible noise emitted from high-voltage lines is caused by the discharge of energy that occurs when the electrical field strength on the conductor surface is greater than the 'breakdown strength' (the field intensity necessary to start a flow of electric current) of the air surrounding the conductor. This discharge is also responsible for radio noise, a visible glow of light near the conductor, an energy loss known as corona loss and other phenomena associated with high-voltage lines."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=what-causes-the-noise-emi

Makes sense, thanks!

Hello,

I have another explanation, as well. On humid days, the buildup of moisture on the insulators can cause a momentary Bzzt noise as current is momentarily carried.

I've noticed this most often at night as sea breazes blow in. It's a bit odd in that you never know quite when to expect it or from which direction.

I can provide some information about the potential causes of power line noise. Power line noise can be caused by a variety of factors, including atmospheric conditions, equipment malfunctions, and radio frequency interference. One common cause of power line noise is corona discharge, which occurs when the electric field surrounding the power line becomes strong enough to ionize the air around it. This can create a buzzing or crackling sound. Another potential cause could be loose hardware or damaged insulators on the power lines, which can create vibrations and cause noise. Additionally, radio frequency interference from nearby electronic devices or communication systems can also contribute to power line noise. It is important for power companies to regularly inspect and maintain their equipment to minimize these potential causes of power line noise. I hope this information helps to answer your question.

What Causes Power Line Noise?

Power line noise is a common issue that can disrupt the quality of electrical signals in power lines. Here are the top 5 frequently asked questions about what causes power line noise.

1. What is power line noise?

Power line noise refers to any unwanted electrical signals that interfere with the normal flow of electricity in a power line. This can result in a variety of issues, such as distortion of audio or video signals, disruption of internet or phone connections, and decreased efficiency of electronic devices.

2. What are the common sources of power line noise?

Power line noise can come from a variety of sources, including faulty or aging equipment, damaged power lines, and improper grounding. Electrical devices such as motors, transformers, and lighting systems can also contribute to power line noise.

3. How does power line noise affect electronic devices?

Power line noise can cause interference in electronic devices, leading to reduced performance, malfunctions, and even damage. It can also decrease the lifespan of electronic devices by causing wear and tear on their components.

4. How can power line noise be detected?

Power line noise can be detected by using specialized equipment, such as a power line analyzer or spectrum analyzer. These tools can measure the frequency and amplitude of the noise, helping to identify the source and location of the issue.

5. What can be done to reduce power line noise?

There are several steps that can be taken to reduce power line noise, such as replacing faulty equipment, repairing damaged power lines, and improving grounding. Other solutions include using noise filters or shielding devices to block out unwanted signals.