Stress-Energy tensor of a rotating disk

In summary, the conversation discusses the stress-energy tensor of a rotating disk in relativistic terms and how it differs from the engineering result. The speaker presents their understanding of the continuity equation and how it relates to the stress-energy tensor. They also mention a possible reference for further reading on the topic.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I'm getting a rather crazy looking result, but I'm beginning to think it may be right.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any specific references on the topic to check my sanity level.

Basically, I'm finding that in relativistic terms, there are no pressure (or tension) terms in the stress-energy tensor of a rotating disk. (Perhaps I should say - there are not necessarily any such terms).

This is different from the engineering result. But I believe that the difference is due to the fact that in engineering, the stress-energy tensor is taken to be comoving with the disk. i.e:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress-energy_tensor

Warning: In solid state physics and fluid mechanics, the stress tensor is defined to be the spatial components of the stress-energy tensor in the comoving frame of reference. In other words, the stress energy tensor in engineering differs from the stress energy tensor here by a momentum convective term.
If we adopt a cylindrical coordinate system (t,r,theta,z) the stress-energy tensor is just

[tex]
\begin{array}{cccc}
rho(r) & 0 & p(r) & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
p(r) & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
\end{array}
[/tex]

rho(r) and p(r) are two arbitary functions, representing the energy density and the momentum density.

Rigidity of the disk will impose a relationship between p and rho, uniformity of the disk will give us another constraint.

If this is NOT correct, then my understanding of the continuity equation [itex]\nabla_a T^{ab}[/tex] is wrong and needs to be fixed. The above stress-energy tensor satisfies the above equation - adding any radial tension terms would spoil this happy state of affairs.

Comments? References? Brickbats?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This may or may not be useful to you, but if I recall correctly, the canonical reference for the (relativistic) rotating disk is a chapter in "General Relativity and Gravitation", Held, Volume 1. I believe that it's the first chapter but it's been a couple of years since I've read a copy of this book so I'm a bit iffy on the details.

Thanks, it sounds like it might be worthwhile getting on interlibrary loan. (I think I found the book you mean in the Library of Congress catalog).

I think I'm getting sensible-looking results, though.
In non-rotating coordinates, the continuity equation I'm getting is:

[tex]
{\frac { {\frac {d Prad}{dr}} r
+{\it Prad} -{r}^{2}{\it P\theta} }{r}}

[/tex]

Prad being the radial pressure, P[itex]\theta[/itex] being the circumfrential pressure.

This equation implies that if [itex]P\theta[/itex]=0, Prad=k/r^2. For a finite pressure at r=0, Prad=0 if Ptheta=0.

Converting to co-rotating coordinates

(t1=t,r1=r,[itex]\theta[/itex]1=[itex]\theta-\omega[/itex]t,z1=z)

changes the metric

g_tt = -1 + r1*w^2
g_t[itex]\theta = \omega r1^2[/itex]

The stress-energy tensor in this new metric should now have T^0j=0 because everything is stationary in the new coordinates.

In this corotating metric, the continuity eq becomes

[tex]
{\frac {-\rho {\omega}^{2}{{\it r1}}^{2}+
{\frac {d Prad}{d{\it r1}}} {
\it r1} +Prad - {\it P\theta} {{\it r1}}^{2}}{{\it r1}}}=0
[/tex]

and we now see [itex]\rho r \omega^2[/itex] terms in the radial pressure which I initially expected.

Last edited:

1. What is the stress-energy tensor of a rotating disk?

The stress-energy tensor of a rotating disk is a mathematical representation of the distribution of energy and momentum within a rotating disk. It takes into account both the stress (force per unit area) and energy density of the disk at different points.

2. How is the stress-energy tensor of a rotating disk calculated?

The stress-energy tensor of a rotating disk is calculated using the Einstein field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy within it. The specific equation used to calculate the stress-energy tensor of a rotating disk is known as the Kerr metric.

3. What is the significance of the stress-energy tensor of a rotating disk?

The stress-energy tensor of a rotating disk is significant because it helps us understand the complex dynamics of rotating objects in space. It is an important tool in studying the behavior of black holes and other astrophysical phenomena.

4. How does the stress-energy tensor of a rotating disk affect the spacetime around it?

The stress-energy tensor of a rotating disk affects the curvature of spacetime around it. This is due to the distribution of energy and momentum within the disk, which creates a gravitational field that can warp the fabric of spacetime.

5. Can the stress-energy tensor of a rotating disk change over time?

Yes, the stress-energy tensor of a rotating disk can change over time. This is because the distribution of energy and momentum within the disk can change due to various factors, such as accretion of matter or the emission of energy through processes like Hawking radiation.