How Did Galileo's Experiment Measure the Speed of Light?

• Thread starter Questioner...
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire Light
In summary, the speed of light was first measured by observing the orbit of Jupiter and has been refined over the centuries. Galileo attempted to measure the speed of light by using two lamps on separate hills, but the experiment was unsuccessful due to light's high speed.
Questioner...
Hello again, Here to ask a few more questions.
I previously asked a question about light and weather or not it could possibly have different speeds. But I recently realized that the burning of different chemicals can have different tones of light.

I would like to know how exactly we first measured how fast the speed of light was, what we used as a source, and if we could conduct an experiment using the light from different burning chemicals to find out if there is a different speed- or if it already has been done let me know.

Thanks
-Q?

Physics news on Phys.org
different colors of light all travel at the same speed in a vacuum (i.e. radio waves, x-rays, blue, red, etc.). The first decent record of the speed of light was done by observing the perceived lag in the orbit of jupiter. That was over 3 centuries ago. Now any child in a high school science lab (well, a high school science lab with good funding) can measure the speed of light to pretty high accuracy.

the first attempt at figuring out the speed of light was conducted by Galileo. Galileo and an assistant each took a shrouded lamp and stood within sight of each other on two widely-separated hilltops.

Galileo opened his lantern, and when the assistant saw its light, he opened his, too.

Galileo measured the time it took from when he opened his lantern to when he saw his assistant's lamp, which should be the time for light to travel back and forth between the two hilltops.

of course, due to light's high speed, his experiment epic failed.

1. What happens when we light something on fire?

When we light something on fire, a chemical reaction known as combustion occurs. This releases heat, light, and various gases, and transforms the substance into ash.

2. Why do some things burn more easily than others?

The ease of burning is dependent on a substance's chemical composition and its ignition temperature. Some materials have lower ignition temperatures, making them more flammable, while others are more resistant to fire.

3. Can fire be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, fire can be controlled and manipulated through the use of various techniques and tools. For example, fire can be extinguished by cutting off its oxygen supply or controlled by using a fire blanket or extinguisher.

4. Is fire always dangerous?

Fire can be dangerous, but it can also be beneficial and necessary for various purposes such as cooking, heating, and creating energy. It is important to handle fire with caution and follow safety protocols to prevent accidents and injuries.

5. How does fire spread?

Fire spreads through a process known as convection, where the heat from the fire causes the air around it to rise and spread the flames. It can also spread through conduction, where heat is transferred from one object to another, and radiation, where the fire's heat and light travel through the air and ignite surrounding objects.