A new computer virus attacks a folder consisting of 200 files

In summary, we are using the normal approximation of binomial distribution to find the probability that fewer than 50 files out of a folder of 200 get damaged by a computer virus with a probability of 0.2. After applying the continuity correction, the probability is 0.0359. This means that there is a low chance of fewer than 50 files getting damaged. However, there may be some minor mistakes in the calculations and the upper bound for the number of damaged files should be 49 or 49.5 instead of 50.
TomJerry
Question:
A new computer virus attacks a folder consisting of 200 files. Each file gets damaged with probability 0.2 independently of other files. Using Normal approximation of binomial distribution, find the probability that fewer than 50 files get damaged.

Solution:

Here n=200, p =0.2, q=0.8.

Formulae for normal approx is Z = X - [tex]\mu[/tex]/[tex]\sigma[/tex]

For binomial distribution [tex]\mu[/tex] = np and [tex]\sigma[/tex]2 = npq

Therefore
[tex]\mu[/tex] = 40

[tex]\sigma[/tex] = 5.7

when X=50

Z = 50 - 40 / 5.7 = 1.8

P(X<50) = P(Z<1.8) = 0.5 - P(0<Z<1.8) = 0.5 - 0.4641 = 0.0359

Is this correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you have made some minor mistakes.
First of all, npq is not the standard deviation, it is the variance (which is related to the st.dev. how?)

Moreover, this distribution is actually discrete and you are only using the normal distribution as an approximation. This means that you should probably apply the so-called continuity correction, by changing your upper bound a bit (it should not be 50 but ...?)

CompuChip said:
I think that you have made some minor mistakes.
First of all, npq is not the standard deviation, it is the variance (which is related to the st.dev. how?)

Moreover, this distribution is actually discrete and you are only using the normal distribution as an approximation. This means that you should probably apply the so-called continuity correction, by changing your upper bound a bit (it should not be 50 but ...?)
Thanks X should be 49 and not 50 ...Isnt that correct

How about 49.5?

Yes, your calculation is correct. The probability that fewer than 50 files get damaged in this scenario is approximately 0.0359. This means that there is a low likelihood of the virus damaging a large number of files in the folder. As a scientist, it is important to understand and utilize statistical methods like normal approximation to analyze and predict the spread and impact of viruses and other phenomena. Further research and analysis may also help in developing effective strategies to prevent and combat such attacks in the future.

1. How does the new computer virus attack the folder?

The new computer virus attacks the folder by infecting the files within the folder and altering their code, making them unreadable or causing them to malfunction.

2. What type of files are at risk in the infected folder?

All types of files within the infected folder are at risk, including documents, images, videos, and programs.

3. Can the infected files be recovered?

It depends on the severity of the virus and the type of attack it performs. In some cases, the files may be recoverable through data recovery software, but in other cases, they may be permanently damaged and unrecoverable.

4. How can I protect my computer from this new virus?

The best way to protect your computer from this virus is to have updated antivirus software installed and to regularly scan your computer for any threats. It is also important to be cautious when downloading files from unknown sources and to avoid opening suspicious emails or attachments.

5. Is my personal information at risk if my computer is infected with this virus?

This depends on the intentions of the virus and the type of information stored in the infected folder. However, it is always important to take precautions and monitor your personal information if your computer has been infected with a virus.

Back