Resources for analytical mehanics

In summary, the conversation involved someone looking for an online lecture series on analytical mechanics for a summer project. They also asked for a textbook recommendation for self-teaching and listed their background in relevant subjects. Suggestions were made for checking MIT's open course ware and a thread on a physics forum for resources on Lagrangian and Hamiltonian methods derived from Newton's mechanics.
hideelo
As the spring semester is over and the summer is now beginning I was thinking that I would like to get a start on analytical mechanics on my own as a summer project. I was wondering if anyone knows an online lecture series on analytical mechanics, preferably with an assigned textbook and homeworks. At the very least can someone recommend a textbook that is well suited for self teaching.

If it is any help, I have taken and am familliar with physics 1 and 2, special relativity, "modern physics" (which is essentially rudimentry quantum mechanics) all of the standard calculus material, differential equations, linear algebra, and some modern algebra.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried checking MIT's open course ware? I find those guys usually have some good courses, especially for lower level classes.

I checked there but did not see any course on analytical mechanics

Thank you, the first link was exactly what I was looking for, I just didn't recognize it by that name

Thank you for the link, it looks really helpful

1. What are the main resources available for studying analytical mechanics?

The main resources available for studying analytical mechanics include textbooks, online lecture notes, video lectures, practice problems, and online forums or communities.

2. Are there any online courses or MOOCs available for learning analytical mechanics?

Yes, there are several online courses and MOOCs available for learning analytical mechanics. Some popular options include courses on Coursera, edX, and Khan Academy.

3. Can you recommend any textbooks for studying analytical mechanics?

Some commonly recommended textbooks for studying analytical mechanics include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems" by Stephen T. Thornton and Jerry B. Marion, and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin.

4. Are there any interactive simulations or visualizations available for understanding analytical mechanics?

Yes, there are several interactive simulations and visualizations available online that can aid in understanding analytical mechanics concepts. Some examples include simulations on PhET Interactive Simulations and visualizations on MIT OpenCourseWare.

5. How can I practice and test my understanding of analytical mechanics?

There are many resources available for practicing and testing your understanding of analytical mechanics. You can find practice problems in textbooks, online problem banks, and course materials. Additionally, online forums or study groups can be a helpful resource for discussing concepts and exchanging practice problems.