Dopler Shift and Photon Number

In summary, this seems to be a reasonable explanation for why the amplitude of a light wave does not change when the wavelength is changed.
cmos
Here's something that I recently thought about:

If we assume a Doppler shifted EM wave retains the amplitude of the unshifted wave, then we must be creating/annihilating photons. This seems consistent with the conservation of energy; the removal of several photons removes energy from the system but this energy is conserved by the increase in energy of the remaining photons, as would be the case of a blue shift.

Does this seam reasonable?

I realize that number conservation of photons is never a requirement, but it originally bothered me that photons can just come in and out of existence in the manner described above. My explanation for this is that during a Doppler shift, a single photon is either joining with several others or splitting into several others in a manner that conserves energy.

Does this seem reasonable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably a good idea to look into coherent states and bogoliubov transformations.

The Doppler shift does not change the number of photons.
The frequency, energy and momentum of each photon changes.

clem said:
The Doppler shift does not change the number of photons.
The frequency, energy and momentum of each photon changes.

If the number of photons does not change, then a change in wavelength will induce a change in amplitude. For the amplitude to remain the same, the number of photons must change - hence my original post.

lbrits, I will be looking into it...

cmos said:
If the number of photons does not change, then a change in wavelength will induce a change in amplitude. For the amplitude to remain the same, the number of photons must change - hence my original post.
lbrits, I will be looking into it...
Why do you assume the amplitude won't change? The E and B fields change in a Lorentz transformation.
Consider light so weak that there is only one photon.
Could a small change in frequency add or subtract a photon?

1. What is the Doppler Shift effect?

The Doppler Shift effect is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a relative motion between a source of waves (such as light or sound) and an observer. It causes a change in the frequency of the waves perceived by the observer, resulting in a shift in the wavelength of the waves.

2. How does the Doppler Shift affect the perception of light?

The Doppler Shift affects the perception of light by changing the wavelength of the light waves. When the source of light is moving towards the observer, the frequency of the light waves increases, making the light appear bluer. Conversely, when the source is moving away from the observer, the frequency decreases, making the light appear redder.

3. What is the relationship between Doppler Shift and photon number?

The relationship between Doppler Shift and photon number is that as the frequency of light waves changes due to the Doppler Shift, the number of photons remains constant. This means that the total energy of the light remains the same, but it is spread out over a larger or smaller number of photons depending on the direction of the motion.

4. How is Doppler Shift used in astronomy?

Doppler Shift is used in astronomy to determine the velocity and direction of motion of celestial objects. By measuring the shift in the frequency of light waves emitted from distant objects, astronomers can calculate their speed and direction of motion relative to Earth.

5. Can Doppler Shift be applied to other types of waves besides light?

Yes, Doppler Shift can be applied to other types of waves, such as sound waves. In fact, it was first observed and studied in the context of sound waves. It is also applicable to any type of wave that has a frequency, including water waves and radio waves.