How are multiplication tables for fields created?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a website to understand multiplication in a field, particularly in a 9 element field. The site explains the use of a monic-quadratic to find the multiplication table, and how it simplifies the calculations. The conversation also mentions the use of F[3] which represents the integers modulo 3. The choice of a monic quadratic is described as making the calculations easier, as it can be re-written as a simpler polynomial.
phillyj
The class I'm in is not modern algebra nor have I take those courses. The professor of the class [Learning how to read/write in math] decided to try to teach some abstract algebra. I am trying to understand how multiplication is done in a field. I am using this site to help me as it was most relevant to making tables like the professor wanted:

http://math.arizona.edu/~ura-reports/041/Patterson.Genevieve/Final/FinalReport/node8.html

I am stuck on 9 element fields. This is the second to last example at the end of the page. I understand that we can extend the F[3] field to get the table.

The site says "As a vector space, F[9] = F[3^2] = {a+bx, (a,b)[tex]\in[/tex] F[3]}. To find the multiplication table we need a monic-quadratic that has no zeros in F[3]
A monic-quadratic will have a coefficient of 1 on the highest degree term."

[1]Why do they use monic quadratic?

[2] When they try x^2+1, they get f(0)=1, f(1)=2 but why is f(2)=2? Are they not plugging into x?

I don't really have good study material as the professor wrote a short paper on this stuff but it is bare minimum.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
F[3] is just the integers modulo 3. Given a number, its remainder when you divide by 3 is either 0, 1 or 2, and that's the corresponding number that you get in F[3]. So f(2)=5, but we have to take the remainder when you divide by 3, which gives f(2)=2.

The choice for a monic quadratic is just that it makes the calculations a little easier to look at (there are fewer coefficients flying around). x is going to be an element that satisfies f(x)=0. If we have [tex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/tex] the way we use this is by re-arranging:
[tex] x^2 = \frac{1}{a}(-bx-c)[/tex]

So given any arbitrary polynomial in x, we can write it as something of the form cx+d by repeatedly replacing x2s with the other side of that equality. We could have chosen a monic f(x) by just dividing both sides of [tex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/tex] and we would have ended up with the same solution for x2 at the end anyway. So we can basically just ignore the a if we assume our polynomial is monic to begin with

Related to How are multiplication tables for fields created?

1. How are multiplication tables for fields created?

Multiplication tables for fields are created using a specific set of rules and properties that are unique to fields. These rules and properties include closure, associativity, identity, inverse, and commutativity. By following these rules, a multiplication table can be constructed for any given field.

2. What is closure in multiplication tables for fields?

Closure is a property that states that when two elements from a field are multiplied together, the result will also be an element of that field. This is an important property for creating a complete and accurate multiplication table for a field.

3. How is associativity used in creating multiplication tables for fields?

Associativity is a property that states that the order in which the elements of a field are multiplied together does not affect the final result. This property is used to organize the multiplication table for a field in a systematic and efficient manner.

4. What is the identity element in multiplication tables for fields?

The identity element is an element in a field that, when multiplied by any other element, will result in that element. This is similar to the number 1 in traditional multiplication tables. In fields, the identity element is denoted as 1.

5. Why is commutativity important in multiplication tables for fields?

Commutativity is a property that states that the order in which elements are multiplied together does not affect the final result. This property is important for creating accurate and consistent multiplication tables for fields, as it allows for the elements to be organized in a flexible manner.