Question regarding basis of function space

In summary, the concept of an infinite basis is well-defined in the context of topology and convergence in function spaces. In particular, the set of polynomials forms a topological basis for the space of continuous functions on [0,1], but not for the set of analytic functions. Additionally, there are two types of bases in infinite dimensional spaces - a Hamel basis which is a linearly-independent set that spans the space, and a Schauder basis which is a set of vectors that can be written as a possibly infinite linear combination to converge to any vector in the space.
Keldon7
I only possesses a rudimentary understanding of Linear Algebra so I'm not going to be rigorous in my explanation, but is the concept of an infinite basis well defined? More specifically, I was thinking about how the polynomials could form a basis for function space, given that every function has a Taylor expansion which is a linear combination of the polynomials.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to say the set of polynomials are to represent a basis, you need to talk about the notion of convergence or what topology you are using on the function space. For example, consider C[0,1], the continuous real functions on [0,1] as your function space where convergence ##f_n\rightarrow f## means the sequence ##f_n## converges uniformly to ##f##. Now, it is true that the set of polynomials form a basis in the sense that given any ##f## and ##\epsilon > 0##, you can find a polynomial p with ##\|f-p\|<\epsilon##. We say that the set of polynomials is dense in C[0,1] and they form a topological basis. But that is not the same thing as saying every function in C[0,1], even if it has derivatives of all orders, can be well approximated by a Taylor polynomial. There are infinitely smooth functions whose Taylor expansion just gives 0. Taylor polynomials are too specialized for that particular job.

In infinite dimensional spaces there may be two different types of "bases".

A "Hamel basis" is an infinite set such that any vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of a finite number of vectors in the basis. The functions 1, x, [itex]x^2[/itex], ...,[itex]x^n[/itex], ... form a Hamel basis for the space of all polynomials but not for the set of (real) analytic functions (a real valued function on the real numbers is "analytic" if and only if it is equal to its Taylor series). It can be shown (assuming axiom of choice) that every vector space has a Hamel basis.

If you have a topology on your vector space, and so a notion of "convergence", a more general concept of "basis" is, as LKurtz said, a set of vectors such that any vector can be written as a possibly infinite linear combination. The functions 1, x, [itex]x^2[/itex], ...,[itex]x^n[/itex], ... form a basis, in this sense, for the space of all (real) analytic functions.

I don't know what you mean by well-defined, but a (Hamel) basis is a linearly-independent set that spans the space , or as said in both replies, a L.I set such
that for all f in the space, there is a linear combination of the base elements that converges to f. You can check that for any n, the set {1,x,x2,...,xn} is linearly-independent in C[0,1], and spans in the Schauder sense, and, in this sense, it is infinite.

Bacle2 said:
but a (Hamel) basis is a linearly-independent set that spans the space , or as said in both replies, a L.I set such
that for all f in the space, there is a linear combination of the base elements that converges to f.
No - there should be no mention of convergence here.

{1, x, x^2, ...} isn't a Hamel basis for C[0,1], but as you somewhat indicate, it's a Schauder basis.

Yes, I did sort-of mix up both cases; my bad--I should stop posting at 3 a.m.

Still, for any n, the mentioned set is linearly-independent.

What is a function space?

A function space is a mathematical concept that refers to a set of functions that share a common mathematical structure and properties. This set of functions is typically defined on a specific domain and can be used to represent various mathematical objects such as curves, surfaces, or abstract mathematical structures.

What is the basis of a function space?

The basis of a function space is a set of linearly independent functions that can be used to express any function within that space as a linear combination of these basis functions. In other words, the basis functions serve as building blocks for the functions in the space.

Why is the basis of a function space important?

The basis of a function space is important because it allows us to represent complex functions in a simpler way by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable components. This can make it easier to understand and analyze the behavior of these functions.

How is the basis of a function space determined?

The basis of a function space is typically determined by finding a set of functions that satisfy certain conditions, such as being linearly independent and spanning the entire space. This can be done through various mathematical techniques, such as Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization or eigenfunction decomposition.

Can the basis of a function space change?

Yes, the basis of a function space can change depending on the choice of basis functions. Different sets of basis functions can be used to represent the same function space, and one can switch between different bases to better suit the problem at hand.