What is this element, carbon, hydrogen, oxyden or aluminum?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the element with a mass of 135 g containing 30.1 1023 atoms. The equation n=N/NA is used to find the element's atomic weight, which is then matched with the periodic table to identify the element as cobalt (Co). There was confusion about whether to use atomic weight or atomic number, but the correct element was determined in the end.
Rival
8. [CJ6 14.P.001.] A mass of 135 g of an element is known to contain 30.1 1023 atoms. What is the element?
carbon
hydrogen
oxyden
aluminum

This is the question on my Physics practice test for my exam tomorrow. i don't know where to even begin with this one. we haven't really gone over anything like this in class...

Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
Can u find the no. of moles

how?

1 mole contains 6.02 * 1023 entities here atom

ok so i am guessing that the equation that i need to use is n=N/NA

but how do we figure out N?

yup, N is given to u 30.1 1023

ok so we have 5 moles but now what? how do we figure out what element it is?

Do u now approx mol wt of above given elements

Find the Mol wt with the help of Mole equation

[tex]n=\frac{g}{M_0}[/tex] where M0 is Mol wt and g is the given wt

so i feel u got M0=135/5=27

Which belongs to ?(WHAT)

so using the equation you gave me, i have n = 5 and g = 135, so i find Mo, which came out to be 27, and in the periodic table 27 is Co. what element is Co? but i think its wrong...

now that i know the mol wt, i matched it with the periodic table and it comes out to Co, but which one of the choices are Co.

U checked in for Atomic Number Rather than atomic wt

Atomic wt for Al is 27 (Aluminum)

Co is Cobalt

hehe, that could help if i looked for the right thing. Thanks alot, i really appreciate your help.

Kevin:smile:

The whole point of a "mole" of an element is that it's weight in grams is equal to the weight of an individual atom in "atomic units". Once you know that you can identify the element.

1. What is carbon?

Carbon is a chemical element with the symbol C and atomic number 6. It is a non-metal and is the basis of all known life on Earth.

2. What is hydrogen?

Hydrogen is a chemical element with the symbol H and atomic number 1. It is the lightest and most abundant element in the universe.

3. What is oxygen?

Oxygen is a chemical element with the symbol O and atomic number 8. It is a highly reactive non-metal and is essential for most living organisms.

4. What is aluminum?

Aluminum is a chemical element with the symbol Al and atomic number 13. It is a silvery-white, ductile and malleable metal that is commonly used in various industries.

5. What are the properties of these elements?

Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and aluminum all have unique properties that make them useful for different purposes. Carbon is known for its versatile bonding capabilities, hydrogen is highly flammable and reactive, oxygen is a powerful oxidizing agent, and aluminum is lightweight and corrosion-resistant.