Difficult problem dealing with stationary states of hyrdrogen

In summary, the conversation discusses the decay of a tritium atom to a helium isotope and the calculation of probabilities for the helium atom to be in the ground state or first excited state after the decay. The conversation also mentions the use of perturbation theory and inner products to calculate the constants for the eigenfunctions of helium. The confusion about the stationary states of He+ and the use of inner products is resolved by realizing that He+ is a hydrogenoid ion and the stationary states can be computed using QM books. The conversation concludes with the question of how to find probabilities using the constants calculated through the inner products.
holden
Really confused by this one.

Homework Statement

I'm given that a tritium atom, with one proton and two neutrons in the nucleus, decays by beta emission to a helium isotope with two protons and one neutron in the nucleus. During the decay, the atom changes from hydrogen to singly-ionized helium so Z doubles.

I need to find the probabilities that the helium atom is in the ground state or the first excited state (2s) immediately after the decay; I'm given that the tritium was in the 1s ground state before the decay.

I'm also told to ignore spin.

Homework Equations

I'm given that since I need to calculate the constants multiplying the eigenfunctions of helium (see below), that I need to use [tex]<\psi_{n'l'm'}|\psi_{nlm}> = \delta_{n'n}\delta_{l'l}\delta_{m'm}[/tex] to do that.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, to solve it, I need to write the ground state of tritium as a superposition of stationary states of He+, because the square of the absolute value of the constant multiplying a particular helium eigenfunction gives the probability that the helium atom is in that state after the decay.

The trouble is I don't know what the stationary states of He+ would look like.

Physics news on Phys.org
He+ is hydrogenoid ion, so the stationary states are computed in QM books when dealing with the Kepler problem for the Coulomb potential.

Daniel.

Hm.. There's no section about that in my QM book, and we haven't mentioned any of the terms you used in class. We've discussed a little bit about hydrogen atoms.. I think I'm supposed to use perturbation theory to find them.. but it's hard when I have no examples or any instruction about it =/

C'mon, it's simply replacing e, the electron's charge (in absolute value), with Ze, the hydrogenoid ion's charge.

Daniel.

Heh. I never would have known that. Thanks. I went back through (from the beginning) and calculated the wavefunctions for n=2,l=0 and n=1,l=0 (2s and 1s for He+, respectively).. but what do I do with those? I know I'm supposed to write the ground state of tritium as a superposition of stationary states of He+, so I added those together.. But how to find probabilities? I know the square of a constant multiplying a particular eigenstate of Helium is the probability that it will be in that state, but, uh.. does that mean I just need to square the constants out in front of each state?

My teacher said to calculate constants using inner products. TBH, I have no idea what he's talking about in this case since everything is in terms of r.

1. What is the stationary state of hydrogen?

The stationary state of hydrogen refers to the stable, non-changing energy state of a hydrogen atom. In this state, the electron is in a specific energy level and does not emit or absorb energy.

2. Why is dealing with stationary states of hydrogen considered a difficult problem?

It is considered a difficult problem because hydrogen is the simplest element with only one electron, yet its stationary states cannot be calculated exactly due to the limitations of quantum mechanics. This makes it a challenging problem for scientists to fully understand and accurately predict.

3. How do scientists study stationary states of hydrogen?

Scientists use mathematical equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, to describe the energy levels and probabilities of finding the electron in different positions around the nucleus. They also use experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy, to observe and measure the energy transitions of hydrogen atoms.

4. What are some applications of studying stationary states of hydrogen?

Studying stationary states of hydrogen has various applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. It helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and has practical uses in developing technologies such as lasers, fuel cells, and MRI machines.

5. Can the stationary states of hydrogen be affected by external factors?

Yes, the stationary states of hydrogen can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and electric or magnetic fields. These factors can alter the energy levels and probabilities of finding the electron in different states, leading to changes in the behavior of hydrogen atoms.