Sampling and recovering a Sawtooth wave

In summary, the sawtooth wave is a type of wave that has frequency components up to infinity, and by definition is not bandlimited. The act of sampling will cause aliasing, which will distort the reconstructed waveform. The aliasing, and hence the reconstructed waveform appearance, depends on the sampling frequency and on the waveform repetition frequency (which you do not mention). Reconstruction is not by lowpass filtering but by convolution with the "sinc function", as worked out by Shannon and independently by Whittaker, Kotelnikov and others.
Cliste
Hey guys, I've been working extensively on a report for the last few hours. I've managed 28 pages but I'm stuck on something.

For a 33kHz sampling of a sawtooth wave, what would the recovered wave look like? I'd imagine it would be recovered through a low pass filter?

Also, why is the wave different than the original? I'll hazard a guess that it's something to do with the bandwidth and Nyquist rate?

I'm not sure on this, although I've been struggling with the report, I'll only go online as a last resort to find the information.

I'll be very greatful for some replies,

Thank you :)

Edit: Sorry wrong part of the forum. It's late here 03:04am... getting sleepy :(.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
By sawtooth, do you mean a ramp followed by a vertical segment of -infinite slope? If so, then

Question 1) the signal has frequency components up to infinity, and by definition is not bandlimited. The act of sampling will cause aliasing, which will distort the reconstructed waveform. The aliasing, and hence the reconstructed waveform appearance, depends on the sampling frequency and on the waveform repetition frequency (which you do not mention).

Question 2) Reconstruction is not by lowpass filtering but by convolution with the "sinc function", as worked out by Shannon and independently by Whittaker, Kotelnikov and others. (Reconstruction is commonly credited also to Nyquist, but he did not contribute to this part of sampling theory). Wikipedia has a good article on this point (see Sampling Theorem). For the reconstruction process, see the wiki article "Whittaker-Shannon Interpolation."

As to why the recovered wave would be different, you need to study the Fourier transform of a sawtooth wave. What you will see is that it is the sum of an infinite series of sine waves, as are all waves of all shapes that involve instantaneous change of direction or amplitude. When you sample it at anything less than an infinite sampling rate, you are of necessity throwing out all of the series' terms beyond your sampling rate, so the resulting wave HAS to be different.

LATER: I see Marcus was putting in a more complete answer while I was typing.

Excellent, I'm going to take all that into consideration and work my around it.

It's 04:18 now, time to sleep now I think :P.

Thanks alot, much appreciated.

:)

1. What is a Sawtooth wave?

A Sawtooth wave is a type of periodic waveform that looks like a jagged line with a sharp increase and a gradual decrease. It is commonly used in electronic music and is characterized by its unique sound.

2. How is a Sawtooth wave generated?

A Sawtooth wave is generated by passing a triangular wave through a comparator circuit. The output of the comparator is then fed back to the input, creating a continuously repeating pattern.

3. What is the purpose of sampling a Sawtooth wave?

Sampling a Sawtooth wave is used to convert the continuous analog signal into a digital signal that can be processed and manipulated by electronic devices. This allows for precise control and manipulation of the waveform.

4. How is a Sawtooth wave recovered after sampling?

After sampling, the digital signal is passed through a low-pass filter to remove any high-frequency components. This restores the original shape of the Sawtooth wave and allows it to be played back through speakers or other audio devices.

5. What are some applications of a Sawtooth wave?

Sawtooth waves have a wide range of applications, including in electronic music synthesis, as a voltage source for analog synthesizers, and as a test signal in electronic testing and calibration. They are also used in digital signal processing and in applications that require precise control of a periodic waveform.