Looking for an Algebra Textbook with References to Number Theory and Topology?

In summary, the person is looking for a good textbook that combines algebra, number theory, and topology. They have already studied Artin's textbook but found it lacking in number theory and intuition. They are considering continuing with Artin or looking for a more elementary book. The person is also open to other suggestions and may visit a library to browse for other books on the topic. One potential recommendation is 'Algebra' by Archbold, which focuses on practical problem-solving rather than the traditional structure of definitions, lemmas, and theorems.
Pippi
I am looking for a good textbook that can help developing intuition in algebra. I know a bit of number theory (Fermat's little theorem), algebra (up to fields), and topology. Are there good books that teach algebra with references to number theory and topology?

I learned from Artin's textbook (up to chapter 5). It has no number theory at all and provides too little intuition for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
the chapter 11 on factorization in artin is related to number theory, as is the chapter 14 on galois theory, and chapter 8 on linear groups is related to topology. I suggest you keep going in artin. there are very few algebra books of that quality out there, in fact that may be the best there is. you have only gotten 1/3 of the way through it.

if you want a more elementary book that explicitly sets out to do number theory by abstract algebra, there is one by ethan bolker, but i have not seen it.

there are some books that relate algebra more to number theory and topology, but it is possible they will be over your head until you finish artin, but that is not certain.

some examples are: theory of algebraic numbers, by e. artin; introduction to algebraic topology, e. artin and hel braun;
theory of algebraic functions of one variable, chevalley.

why don't you go to a library and look up these books and browse around a bit. you might find what you are looking for.

Last edited:
The book simply entitled 'Algebra' by Archbold may well answer your needs, although you have given us precious little to go on.

It is an old book so it contains many examples and worked tricks, not shown in modern texts.
It's emphasis is on working things out, rather than a Euclidian diet of
definition> lemma> theorem>definition>lemma>theorem...

What are the key features of a good algebra textbook?

A good algebra textbook should have clear and concise explanations of concepts, numerous practice problems with step-by-step solutions, relevant and engaging examples, and a variety of exercises for students to apply their knowledge.

What makes a good algebra textbook user-friendly?

A user-friendly algebra textbook should have a logical and organized layout, with a table of contents and index for easy navigation. It should also have a glossary of key terms and symbols, as well as helpful tips and strategies for problem solving.

How can a good algebra textbook cater to different learning styles?

A good algebra textbook should have a balance of visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learning tools. This can include diagrams and graphs, audio and video explanations, and hands-on activities. It should also provide different levels of difficulty for practice problems to accommodate students with varying levels of understanding.

What should I look for when choosing an algebra textbook?

When selecting an algebra textbook, consider the author's expertise and credentials, the edition and relevance of the content, and reviews from other educators and students. It's also important to choose a textbook that aligns with your curriculum and teaching style.

How can a good algebra textbook help students prepare for exams?

A good algebra textbook should have a comprehensive review section, with practice tests and quizzes, to help students prepare for exams. It should also have a variety of challenging problems to test their understanding and application of concepts.