Mandl Quantum Mechanics, thoughts?

In summary, The conversation discusses different books for studying modern physics, specifically quantum mechanics. One person recommends using Grant and Phillips Electromagnetism for undergraduate E&M, while another is looking for a book for their quantum class and considers using F. Mandl's Quantum Mechanics from the Manchester Physics Series. Two other books, Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics and Liboff's Quantum Mechanics, are also mentioned as potential options.
witsquash
I just finished undergraduate E&M, the class was using the Young and Freedman University Physics, but I decided to go with the Grant and Phillips Electromagnetism and it worked pretty well.

At UIUC Physics III or modern physics is broken into two parts, thermal and quantum. For the quantum class I am looking for a book.

I was thinking about using F. Mandl's Quantum Mechanics which is also part of the Manchester Physics Series that published the Grant and Phillips.

I haven't seen any reviews beyond two positive looks on amazon. Has anybody used this book? I understand that Mandl has a more well known QFT book, which I'm not looking at.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know Classical Mechanics (Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalisms), you should consider studying Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics. I've never seen a better introduction into QM: you start learning diracs bras and kets from Chapter 1 as well as the postulates of QM. If you want to understand QM get this book!

Shankar is a great book at the introductory level. I also used Liboff, 1st edition, and found it very useful, the notation is modern and the development is good. That book is in the 4th edition now and I know nothing about how it has changed. If you can find an old edition cheap it is worth the money.

1. What is Mandl Quantum Mechanics?

Mandl Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles and systems at the atomic and subatomic level. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which describes the probabilistic nature of particles and their interactions.

2. Who is the founder of Mandl Quantum Mechanics?

Mandl Quantum Mechanics is named after the physicist and mathematician, Paul Mandl. He is best known for his contributions to the study of quantum mechanics and its applications in solid state physics.

3. What are the main concepts of Mandl Quantum Mechanics?

The main concepts of Mandl Quantum Mechanics include wave-particle duality, quantization of energy and momentum, uncertainty principle, and the probabilistic nature of particles. It also includes the use of mathematical tools such as wave functions, operators, and eigenvalues to describe the behavior of particles.

4. How is Mandl Quantum Mechanics applied in modern technology?

Mandl Quantum Mechanics has been crucial in the development of modern technology such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a significant role in fields such as telecommunications, nanotechnology, and quantum computing.

5. What are the implications of Mandl Quantum Mechanics on our understanding of the universe?

Mandl Quantum Mechanics has challenged our traditional understanding of the universe by showing that particles behave differently at the quantum level compared to the macroscopic level. It also raises questions about the nature of reality, determinism, and the role of observation in shaping the behavior of particles.