The need for getting another particle physics book

In summary, Leon is a physics undergraduate who is interested in particle physics. They are considering getting some books on quantum field theory, which is a framework for particle physics. However, they are concerned that many particle physics books cover the same topics as the qft books they plan on getting. They ask if there are any particle physics books that assume a background in qft but have unique content. The suggested book is "The Standard Model and Beyond" by Paul Langacker, which assumes a background in qft and is quite advanced. Leon will check it out after their exams.
Leonfeynman
Hi there, my name is Leon and I am a physics undergraduate. Recently I decided to dig into the field of particle physics by getting some related books. I definitely will get some books on quantum field theory (Peskin, Scrednick, mandl and shaw...etc), since qft is a framework of particle physics. However, when I take a look into the content of most particle physics book, I found that at least half of them are presented in the previous mentioned qft book(at least they are the same in terms of the topic name), it really confuse me that should I get another particle physics book. What do you guys think? Is there any particle physics book that pre-assumed qft, and presenting content that do not overlap a lot with that of qft book?

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Leonfeynman said:
Is there any particle physics book that pre-assumed qft, and presenting content that do not overlap a lot with that of qft book?

The book "The Standard Model Model and Beyond" by Paul Langacker

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1498763219/?tag=pfamazon01-20

assumes a background in quantum field theory.

From the preface to the first edition: "This not a text on field theory, and does not substitute for the excellent texts that already exist. Ideally, the reader will have completed a standard field theory course." This means that this book is very advanced. Also, if you get this book, make sure that you get the second edition.

Likes vanhees71, Demystifier and jim mcnamara
Hi George

Thanks for the suggestion, the book seems interesting, I would have a look after the exam

1. What makes a good particle physics book?

A good particle physics book should have a clear and organized structure, accurate and up-to-date information, and the ability to explain complex concepts in an approachable manner. It should also include relevant illustrations, diagrams, and examples to aid in understanding.

2. Do I need a background in physics to understand a particle physics book?

While a background in physics can certainly be helpful, many particle physics books are written for a general audience and do not assume prior knowledge. However, some familiarity with basic scientific concepts and mathematical equations may be beneficial.

3. How can a particle physics book benefit someone interested in the field?

A particle physics book can provide a comprehensive overview of the field, including its history, current research, and potential future developments. It can also introduce the reader to important theories, experiments, and discoveries in particle physics, and inspire further exploration and understanding.

4. Are there different levels of particle physics books available?

Yes, there are particle physics books available for a variety of audiences, from introductory level for beginners to advanced texts for experienced researchers. It's important to choose a book that matches your current understanding and interests.

5. Can a particle physics book help me understand current scientific discoveries?

Yes, a particle physics book can provide a deeper understanding of current scientific discoveries, such as the recent discovery of the Higgs boson or the search for dark matter. It can also explain the significance of these discoveries and their impact on the field of particle physics.