Sets - Relations - proof involving transitivity

In summary, the statement "R is vacuously transitive" is true because anything is true given that dom(R) and range(R) have no elements in common.
eclayj
I'm having trouble with the following:

Let R be a relation on A. Prove that if Dom(R) [itex]\bigcap[/itex] Range(R) = ø, then R is transitive.

I took the negation of the "R is transitive" to try proof by contrapositive (as the professor suggested), and have the following:

[itex]\exists[/itex] x,y,z [itex]\in[/itex] A s.t. (x,y) [itex]\in[/itex] R [itex]\wedge[/itex] (y,z)[itex]\in[/itex] R [itex]\wedge[/itex] (x,z) [itex]\notin[/itex] R.

Now I am stuck

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are done. [tex]y\in{}\mbox{Dom}(R)\cap\mbox{Range}(R)[/tex]

Likes 1 person
To elaborate...
- If [itex]xRy[/itex], then [itex]y\in\text{Range}(R)[/itex].
- If [itex]yRz[/itex], then [itex]y\in\text{Dom}(R)[/itex].
- Therefore, if [itex]xRyRz[/itex], then [itex]y\in\text{Dom}(R)\cap \text{Range}(R)[/itex].

So you can argue as follows:
- [itex]\nexists y[/itex] with [itex]y\in\text{Dom}(R)\cap \text{Range}(R)[/itex].
- Therefore, [itex]\nexists x,y,z[/itex] with [itex]y\in\text{Dom}(R)\cap \text{Range}(R)[/itex].
- Therefore, [itex]\nexists x,y,z[/itex] with [itex]xRyRz[/itex].
- Therefore, [itex]\nexists x,y,z[/itex] with [itex]xRyRz[/itex] and [itex](x,z)\notin R[/itex].
- Therefore, [itex]R[/itex] is transitive.

Likes 1 person
So if I understand it right, I have the following:

Let R be a relation on A. Prove that if Dom(R) ⋂ Range(R) = ø, then R is transitive.

Taking the negation of the "R is transitive" to try proof by contrapositive gives the following:

1.) ∃ x,y,z ∈ A s.t. (x,y) ∈ R ∧ (y,z)∈ R ∧ (x,z) ∉ R (statement one is from [itex]\neg[/itex](R is transitive))
2.) Then (x,y) ∈ R (from statement 1)
3.) Then y ∈ Range(R) (from definition range)
4.) Then (y,z) ∈ R (from statement 1)
5.) Then y ∈ Dom(R) (from definition domain)
6.) Then y ∈ Dom(R) ⋂ Range(R) (from 3 and 5)
7.) Therefore [itex]\neg[/itex]( Dom(R) ⋂ Range(R) = ø ) (from 6)

eclayj said:
I'm having trouble with the following:

Let R be a relation on A. Prove that if Dom(R) [itex]\bigcap[/itex] Range(R) = ø, then R is transitive.

I'd suggest an alternative approach. The statement itself is fairly non-sensensical, so why is it true? The answer is that R is vacuously transitive:

If dom(R) and range(R) have no elements in common, then you cannot have xRy and yRz. So, vacuously, for any such x, y, z anything is true, including xRz.

Likes 1 person
PeroK said:
... so why is it true? The answer is that R is vacuously transitive:

If dom(R) and range(R) have no elements in common, then you cannot have xRy and yRz. So, vacuously, for any such x, y, z anything is true, including xRz.

I think the solution I gave was a proof based on that exact idea.

I agree that there's no need to go by contradiction here.

Likes 1 person
Yes, and I think it's useful and important to recognise when something is vacuously true, as you may get apparent absurdities that are true in this case. E.g.

If Dom(R) intersect Ran(R) = ø, then xRy and yRz => anything you like (e.g. x is a tree-frog)!

Likes 1 person

1. What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, called elements, that are grouped together based on a common characteristic or property.

2. What is a relation?

A relation is a connection or association between two sets of elements, which can be represented using ordered pairs or using a graph.

3. What does it mean for a relation to be transitive?

A relation is transitive if, for any three elements a, b, and c, if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is also related to c.

4. How can transitivity be proven for a relation?

To prove transitivity for a relation, we must show that for any three elements a, b, and c, if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is also related to c.

5. Why is transitivity important in mathematics?

Transitivity is important in mathematics because it allows us to make logical conclusions based on the relationships between elements in a set. It also helps us to simplify and solve complex problems by reducing them to simpler, transitive relations.