Proof that wave packet moves with the group velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses wave propagation and dispersion in fluids. It is stated that for certain types of waves, the frequency and phase speed are dependent on the wave number, making the waves dispersive. The difficulty lies in understanding how an initial packet of waves moves with the group velocity, as explained by the dispersion relation. The speaker is looking for a more rigorous explanation, possibly through a reference or derivation. A PowerPoint presentation on quantum mechanics is suggested as a starting point.
mbs
I’m currently taking a class in fluids in which we are studying different types of wave propagation. We discussed how for certain types of waves (such as deep-water ocean waves), the frequency (and phase speed) of each sinusoidal component is a functions of the wave number. This makes the waves dispersive as different components move at different speeds. This part is clear to me.

What I am having trouble with is the claim that an initial packet of the form

[itex]f(x,y,z)sin(ax+by+cz)[/itex]

will move with the group velocity, defined as

[itex]\frac{\partial \omega}{\partial k}\mathbf{\vec{i}}+\frac{\partial \omega}{\partial l}\mathbf{\vec{j}}+\frac{\partial \omega}{\partial m}\mathbf{\vec{k}}[/itex]

where [itex]\omega[/itex] is a function of k, l, and m (the wavenumbers in the x, y, and z directions) in the dispersion relation.

All the texts I’ve seen give a sort of hand waving explanation involving the superposition of two sine waves with slightly different wavenumbers and frequencies. In that case the waves travel through each other and set up an interference pattern where they add and cancel at different locations. I don’t see how this argument applies to an isolated packet where the waves are not periodic and don’t extend indefinitely. If there were an isolated packet of waves my intuition tells me that in the absence of a periodic domain the disturbance would simply spread apart and disintegrate as the components separate.

Maybe someone could post a more careful/rigorous derivation here (assuming the mathematics aren’t too difficult or tedious to type out). If not, maybe someone has a good reference. Thanks.

Marshall

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This might help you get started, although it probably has gaps:

http://physics.oregonstate.edu/~tate/COURSES/ph424/lectures/L14.ppt

The heart of what you're looking for starts on slide 17 of this presentation. This is actually from quantum mechanics, not fluid mechanics, but waves are waves.

You can probably find more of this sort of thing in intermediate and advanced quantum-mechanics books, or in books that discuss Fourier analysis. All of my books are at the office so I can't check them at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a wave packet?

A wave packet is a localized disturbance or oscillation that travels through a medium, carrying energy and momentum.

2. How is group velocity defined?

Group velocity is defined as the velocity at which the envelope of a wave packet (or group of waves) propagates through a medium.

3. How is group velocity different from phase velocity?

Group velocity and phase velocity are two different ways of measuring the speed of a wave. While phase velocity is the speed at which the phase of the wave propagates, group velocity is the speed at which the actual energy of the wave propagates.

4. What is the proof that wave packet moves with the group velocity?

The proof for this can be found in the mathematical equations of wave mechanics, specifically the Schrödinger equation. It can be shown that the group velocity is equal to the derivative of the wave packet's phase with respect to its wavenumber.

5. Why is it important to understand the group velocity of a wave packet?

Understanding the group velocity of a wave packet is important in various fields such as quantum mechanics, optics, and acoustics. It allows us to predict the behavior and movement of waves, which is crucial in many technological applications.