ME for undergrad, Aerospace for grad?

In summary, if you are considering pursuing a BS in mechanical engineering and then going to grad school for aerospace engineering, it may be easier to major in mechanical engineering due to the limited availability of aerospace engineering programs. However, it is possible to still obtain a masters degree in aerospace engineering with an undergrad degree in mechanical engineering. It may be beneficial to focus on fluid mechanics or turbomachinery in order to prepare for a career in aerospace engineering. It is also worth noting that many schools have combined departments for mechanical and aerospace engineering. In essence, aerospace engineering is a specialized form of mechanical engineering.
sam90
if i were to get my BS in mechanical engineering, would that make it difficult for me to go to grad school for aerospace engineering? obviously it would be preferable to major in aerospace but since there arent too many schools offering the major and even fewer allowing transfers (im in junior college right now, planning to transfer next year). it might be easier to major in mechanical engineering which gives me more opportunities in terms of schools to transfer to. any feedback, advice would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
At my school mechs and aeros take 90% of the the same undergraduate courses. And no, it would not be too difficult to get a masters degree in aero, with an undergrad in mech.

Yea sure, ME and AE pretty much go hand in hand. It would probably be helpful to focus on fluid mechanics or turbomachinery if you want to go that route. I'm pretty sure its been repeated much around here but AE is just a specialized form of ME

Agree with both posts. In fact, many schools have one MAE department rather than two separate entities.

Aerospace Engineer is essentially a Mechanical Engineer who only works with aero planes.

yeah that is exactly what I am doing right now. I was skeptical too but I am pursuing masters in aerospace b/c it's most appealing to me

1. What is the difference between an undergrad degree in Mechanical Engineering (ME) and a graduate degree in Aerospace Engineering?

An undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering focuses on the principles of mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science, while a graduate degree in Aerospace Engineering delves more deeply into the specific application of these principles to the design and development of aircraft, spacecraft, and other aerospace systems.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in Mechanical Engineering to pursue a graduate degree in Aerospace Engineering?

While having a background in Mechanical Engineering can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Many graduate programs in Aerospace Engineering offer prerequisite courses to help students from other engineering disciplines transition into the program.

3. What kind of career opportunities are available with a ME undergrad and Aerospace grad degree?

A combination of a ME undergrad and Aerospace grad degree can open up a wide range of career opportunities in the aerospace industry, including roles in aircraft and spacecraft design, manufacturing, research and development, and testing.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a ME undergrad and Aerospace grad degree?

The duration of a ME undergrad degree is usually 4 years, while a graduate degree in Aerospace Engineering can take an additional 1-2 years to complete. However, this can vary depending on the program and whether a student is pursuing a thesis-based or non-thesis based degree.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a ME undergrad and Aerospace grad degree?

A ME undergrad degree will provide a strong foundation in engineering fundamentals such as mathematics, physics, and mechanics, while a graduate degree in Aerospace Engineering will build upon this foundation with specialized knowledge in areas such as aerodynamics, propulsion, and flight dynamics. You will also develop skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and project management, which are highly valued in the aerospace industry.