Textbook Recommendation Needed

In summary, if you are looking for a resource to expand your knowledge beyond a first course in ODEs, but without being too advanced and with a focus on calculation rather than theory, Nonlinear Ordinary Differential Equations by Jordan and Smith may be a good choice.
sampahmel
I already finished a undergraduate ODE course that uses Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems by Boyce.

And I'm now seeking for a book or lecture notes that teaches something beyond what is usually learned in a first course of ODE, but at the same time, the material should not be too advanced as I am facing a time constraint.

Specifically, I'm looking for topics like local and global solution (which I didn't learn much in the 1st course), Cauchy problem, Peano's Theorem, Cauchy-Lipschitz Theorem and so on.

I'm also looking for something more of a calculation nature than theorem-proof-theorem-proof type (which is why I was asking for something not too advanced) as right now I'm just trying to learn some "basics" for a project.

Thank you for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
One book that may be of use to you is Nonlinear Ordinary Differential Equations: An Introduction for Scientists and Engineers by D.W. Jordan and P. Smith. This book covers topics such as local and global solution, Cauchy problem, Peano's Theorem, Cauchy-Lipschitz Theorem, and more. It also provides calculation techniques for these topics, which may be useful for your project. Additionally, the book is not overly advanced and should be accessible for someone with an understanding of first-order ODEs.

What makes a good textbook?

A good textbook should have clear and concise writing, accurate and up-to-date information, relevant and helpful examples, and organized content with chapter summaries and review questions.

How do I choose a textbook for my course?

Consider the learning objectives and goals of your course, the level and background of your students, and the teaching style and preferences of your instructor. You can also read reviews and compare different textbooks to find the best fit.

What are some popular textbooks in my field?

This can vary depending on your specific field and area of study, but some popular textbooks across various disciplines include "Campbell Biology" by Jane B. Reece, "Principles of Microeconomics" by N. Gregory Mankiw, and "Psychology" by David G. Myers.

Are there any free online textbooks available?

Yes, there are many open access and free online textbooks available. Some examples include OpenStax, Project Gutenberg, and Open Textbook Library. These resources can be a great option for students on a budget.

Can I use an older edition of a textbook?

It is generally recommended to use the most recent edition of a textbook, as it will have the most updated information and may have additional resources such as online access codes. However, if the content is still relevant and your instructor approves, using an older edition can be a cost-effective option.