Looking for introductory level physics textbook

In summary, the textbook you should use for "Physics I" is Serway. It is a good book and is available in English. Alternately, you can use a combination of Kleppner and Kolenkow if you prefer. Alternatively, you can use the older edition of Introductory physics books.
TGV320
Hello,

I am currently preparing to learn the 8.01 course "Physics I" via the MIT OCW and I am trying to find an adequate textbook for that purpose. In the three courses that I have found, the first two use:

Young, H. D., and R. A. Freedman. University Physics.

which is quite expensive in my country and the third course:

Kleppner, Daniel, and Robert J. Kolenkow. An Introduction to Mechanics. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 1973. ISBN: 9780070350489.

which I heard is very good but also very thorough and difficult (I'm careful not to do too much at a time).
I also bought Goldstein but it seems far too advanced for me.

What textbook should I use?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The majority of introductory physics books used are the same. There are exceptions, like Kleppner and Kolenkow and Irodov, but Serway, Giancolli, Resnik and Holliday etc are essentially the same. The small difference appears in the ordering of topics. I would be hesitant to recommend Irodov.

My favorite is a combination of one of the above books with Alonso and Finn : Fundamental University Physics. However, Alonso and Finn is a 3 volume book, which has been out of print for some time, and is a bit expensive. Particularly book 2, and especially book 3. You can use the search feature to read about Alonso and Finn. Check to see if it available in the language of your country for cheap.

Anyhow, to save on cost. You can always get the older edition of Introductory physics books. I prefer the 4th edition of Serway over the newer and flashier editions. People also seem to like the 3rd edition of Resnik and Holliday, but I never bothered to look at it.

Likes andresB and TGV320
Hello,

Thanks, I shall use the Serway book, seems to be a good one, there is an English edition of it in my country. I'll switch to Kleepner only if truly required.

Thanks a lot for your help

Likes vanhees71
TGV320 said:
Hello,

Thanks, I shall use the Serway book, seems to be a good one, there is an English edition of it in my country. I'll switch to Kleepner only if truly required.

Thanks a lot for your help
If I may ask, what is the language in which you study? There may be affordable soviet era books available in your language for cheap. Which you can use for supplement, or for a more advance look.

Likes vanhees71
Hello,
I study in English, I have an accpetable command of it.

Likes House of physics and vanhees71
TGV320 said:
Hello,
I study in English, I have an accpetable command of it.
Perfect. I mentioned this, because sometimes books can be expensive in one language, but cheaper in another.

Ie., there was a book I wanted to purchase in English, but it was too expensive. But noticed they had an edition in another language I know for about $15. So I tend to choose the cheaper price lol. I know three languages, give or take, at the same level.

Likes vanhees71
Hello,
You're right, some textbooks made in USA cost a magnitude less in my country, because the editors lower down the price to make it affordable for people here. The only difference is that they are usually smaller and thicker than the huge original ones.

Likes vanhees71
Kleppner is a more sophisticated text on introductory mechanics.
In some colleges and universities, it is used in the "honors" level introductory physics course, followed by Purcell for electromagnetism.

Goldstein is used for intermediate-undergraduate mechanics or graduate-level mechanics.

Likes malawi_glenn and vanhees71
MidgetDwarf said:
People also seem to like the 3rd edition of Resnik and Holliday, but I never bothered to look at it.
Is that a cheap knockoff of Halliday and Resnick?

Likes vanhees71
vela said:
MidgetDwarf said:
People also seem to like the 3rd edition of Resnik and Holliday, but I never bothered to look at it.

Is that a cheap knockoff of Halliday and Resnick?

Here is some info on Part 1 of the 3rd edition. It appears that Resnick is listed as the first author.
(This is the edition I am most familiar with.)

https://archive.org/details/physicsr01resn/mode/2up
1661429467191.png
1661429451417.png

1661429534907.png

Here is info on Part 2 of the 2nd edition.
https://archive.org/details/physicsforstuden00resn/mode/2up

1661429762512.png
1661429783235.png

Attachments

• 1661429402480.png
    1661429402480.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 91

1. What topics are typically covered in an introductory level physics textbook?

An introductory level physics textbook typically covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics.

2. Are there any recommended textbooks for introductory level physics?

Yes, there are many recommended textbooks for introductory level physics, such as "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "University Physics" by Young and Freedman.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge or math skills to understand an introductory level physics textbook?

Some basic knowledge of algebra and calculus may be helpful, but most introductory level physics textbooks are designed for students with little to no prior knowledge of physics or math.

4. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials available for introductory level physics textbooks?

Yes, many introductory level physics textbooks come with online resources such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and video tutorials. Some textbooks also have accompanying workbooks or study guides.

5. How can I choose the best introductory level physics textbook for my needs?

It is important to consider factors such as your level of math and science background, your learning style, and the specific topics you are interested in. It may also be helpful to read reviews and compare different textbooks before making a decision.