Question about static spacetime

In summary: I guess you could say the orthogonal factor.In summary, Eric Poisson explains that a spacetime is static if the timelike Killing vector field is hypersurface orthogonal. This implies that the coordinate t_{\alpha} = g_{tt}\partial _{\alpha}t and t_{\beta} = g_{ab}\partial _{b}t. He also concludes that a spacetime is static if the timelike Killing vector field is hypersurface orthogonal.
off-diagonal
Hi, everyone

I'm now reading A Relativist's Toolkit by Eric Poisson.

In chapter 3, he say something about stationary and static spacetime.

For static spacetime, it's just like stationary (admits timelike Killing vector [itex] t^{\alpha} [/itex]) with addition that metric should be invariant under time reversal [itex] t \rightarrow -t [/itex]. Which implies in some specific coordinate [itex] g_{t\mu} = 0 [/itex].

He also say that, this also implies that [itex] t_{\alpha} = g_{tt}\partial_{\alpha}t [/itex] and he concludes that "a spacetime is static if the timelike Killing vector field is hypersurface orthogonal".

I'd like to ask about these two implications. I have no idea how these two become relevant with static spacetime. Because, as far as I know, hypersurface orthogonal is the congruence of geodesics which have no rotating part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, hypersurface orthogonality basically means that the vector field in question is everywhere orthogonal to a family of hypersurfaces. If you take a single hypersurface from that family, you know that the normal vector [itex]n_a = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^{a}}[/itex] will be orthogonal to that selected hypersurface at some point P ([itex]n_{a}dx^{a} = 0[/itex] in the neighborhood of P). So a vector field is hypersurface orthogonal if it is proportional to the normal vector everywhere i.e. [itex]t^{a} = \sigma (x)n^a[/itex]. One condition that comes out of this is (and you can show this yourself from killing's equation [itex]\triangledown _{\beta }t_{\alpha } + \triangledown _{\alpha }t_{\beta } = 0[/itex]) that [itex]t_{a} = t^{2}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^{a}}[/itex] for an arbitrary scalar field f. If you consider this condition specifically for a time - like killing field then [itex]t_{a} = \frac{\partial }{\partial t} = \delta ^{a}_{0} [/itex] so [itex]t_{a} = g_{ab}t^{a} = g_{0a}[/itex] and similarly, [itex]t^{2} = g_{00}[/itex]. Setting a = 0 in [itex]g_{0a} = g_{00}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^{a}}[/itex] gives [itex]f = x^{0} + h(x^{i})[/itex]. Now, make the coordinate transformation [itex]x^{'0} = x^{0} + h(x^{i}), x^{'i} = x^{i}[/itex] and you will find that [itex]g_{'0i} = 0[/itex]. I am not sure about the second statement you made regarding [itex]t_{\alpha }[/itex]; are you sure it was written that way?

WannabeNewton said:
Well, hypersurface orthogonality basically means that the vector field in question is everywhere orthogonal to a family of hypersurfaces. If you take a single hypersurface from that family, you know that the normal vector [itex]n_a = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^{a}}[/itex] will be orthogonal to that selected hypersurface at some point P ([itex]n_{a}dx^{a} = 0[/itex] in the neighborhood of P). So a vector field is hypersurface orthogonal if it is proportional to the normal vector everywhere i.e. [itex]t^{a} = \sigma (x)n^a[/itex]. One condition that comes out of this is (and you can show this yourself from killing's equation [itex]\triangledown _{\beta }t_{\alpha } + \triangledown _{\alpha }t_{\beta } = 0[/itex]) that [itex]t_{a} = t^{2}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^{a}}[/itex] for an arbitrary scalar field f. If you consider this condition specifically for a time - like killing field then [itex]t_{a} = \frac{\partial }{\partial t} = \delta ^{a}_{0} [/itex] so [itex]t_{a} = g_{ab}t^{a} = g_{0a}[/itex] and similarly, [itex]t^{2} = g_{00}[/itex]. Setting a = 0 in [itex]g_{0a} = g_{00}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^{a}}[/itex] gives [itex]f = x^{0} + h(x^{i})[/itex]. Now, make the coordinate transformation [itex]x^{'0} = x^{0} + h(x^{i}), x^{'i} = x^{i}[/itex] and you will find that [itex]g_{'0i} = 0[/itex]. I am not sure about the second statement you made regarding [itex]t_{\alpha }[/itex]; are you sure it was written that way?

O.K., WannabeNewton, are you really a junior in high school?

bobc2 said:
O.K., WannabeNewton, are you really a junior in high school?

Yeah, I go to Bronx High School of Science, NYC. Why o.0?

Wow, I thought that was a joke. That is impressive.

Did you teach yourself tensors or is it part of your curriculum?

DaleSpam said:
Wow, I thought that was a joke. That is impressive.

Did you teach yourself tensors or is it part of your curriculum?

Used Wald's text and Caroll's text to self - study the basics then used Bishop's Tensor Analysis on Manifolds. My school curriculum only goes up to AP Calculus BC.

Wow, thank you WannabeNewton for the proof of the first statement that helps me a lot.

About the second statement, I am sure because I just copy+paste from the original textbook.

Oh that is just the statement that the killing field will be proportional to the gradient because then the killing field is orthogonal to the family of hypersurfaces everywhere since it is proportional, at each point on the family of hypersurfaces, to the gradient (which will be orthogonal to a hypersurface at a point). The metric is the proportionality factor. I just don't get where he got the [itex]g_{tt}[/itex] from in that statement because I always thought it was [itex]t^{a} = g^{ab}\partial _{b}t[/itex] if you are going to use the metric as the proportionality.

WannabeNewton said:
Oh that is just the statement that the killing field will be proportional to the gradient because then the killing field is orthogonal to the family of hypersurfaces everywhere since it is proportional, at each point on the family of hypersurfaces, to the gradient (which will be orthogonal to a hypersurface at a point). The metric is the proportionality factor. I just don't get where he got the [itex]g_{tt}[/itex] from in that statement because I always thought it was [itex]t^{a} = g^{ab}\partial _{b}t[/itex] if you are going to use the metric as the proportionality.

Hey, boys. I think we have a boy genius here. (I didn't start studying this stuff until a physics student in grad school). From now on I learn at your feet, WannabeNewton (I think you are already Newton).

bobc2 said:
Hey, boys. I think we have a boy genius here. (I didn't start studying this stuff until a physics student in grad school). From now on I learn at your feet, WannabeNewton (I think you are already Newton).

I wish hehe. I'm not smart at all, I just like learning these things is all. Cheers my good man.

Related to Question about static spacetime

1. What is static spacetime?

Static spacetime is a concept in physics that describes a universe in which the geometry of space and time does not change over time. This means that the universe is not expanding or contracting, and there is no motion or acceleration.

2. How does static spacetime differ from dynamic spacetime?

Dynamic spacetime is a universe in which the geometry of space and time can change over time. This means that the universe is either expanding or contracting, and there may be motion or acceleration present. In contrast, static spacetime does not change over time.

3. Can we observe static spacetime in our universe?

It is currently believed that our universe is not in a state of static spacetime. The expansion of the universe, as observed through the redshift of galaxies, suggests that our universe is dynamic.

4. How does Einstein's theory of general relativity relate to static spacetime?

Einstein's theory of general relativity provides a mathematical framework for understanding both static and dynamic spacetime. It describes how the presence of matter and energy can affect the curvature of spacetime, which in turn affects the motion of objects within it.

5. Are there any real-world applications of studying static spacetime?

While the concept of static spacetime may not have direct practical applications, understanding the principles behind it is crucial for understanding the behavior of our universe on a large scale. It also has implications for fields such as cosmology and astrophysics, where we seek to understand the origins and evolution of the universe.